Chapter 4

As the week progresses, Brielle, Julie, and Flynn finally take their exams. Brielle finishes her drawing the day it's due, since the entire final is just the drawing and they have an hour and a half to spend in the class. The calculus exam all three girls have ends up being similar to the practice worksheet they were required to do, which pleases all of them, since they all did so well on the practice worksheet. Dance is similar, although their group dances with the soccer team—which is even worse than their lacrosse team—don't end up being perfect, but they're good for a bunch of uncoordinated guys. Their English classes are all different, but each girl ends up acing the exam they're required to take to finish off the class.

Music class is a different thing entirely. Julie, being a part of a well-known band, has already secured her spot for the next semester. Flynn ends up performing a cool jazzy trumpet solo for the class, which everyone, including Carrie, likes. Carrie decides to take a step back from her pop group, Dirty Candy, to perform something a little closer to home.

"Why do I feel like
I'm running in circles?
With no way out,
With no destination
I need to see what my life's about
Whether I need to change
Or somehow reroute

I have always seen the good side of things
But when it comes to this, I'm no good at anything

Peel off the layers
The mask I built
Break all the pieces
Of the life I've built
It's not fair to anyone
To see what I've become
When I won't look in the mirror myself
In the mirror myself

Every choice I've made
Just to satisfy
This piece of mind
That I hold inside
I'm running in circles
No destination
Running to a place
For my restoration

I have always seen the good side of things
But when it comes to this, I'm no good at anything

Peel off the layers
The mask I built
Break all the pieces
Of the life I've built
It's not fair to anyone
To see what I've become
When I won't look in the mirror myself
In the mirror myself

I have always seen the good side of things
But when it comes to this, I'm no good at anything"

Let's just say, Carrie's audition/final exam blew everyone away.

Brielle, being extremely nervous about her performance for music since it replaces their audition for the next term, barely makes it through her performance without too many mistakes and hopes for the best when it comes to making it into the program next term. And finally, after another few stressful exams, the weekend comes. They don't have a gig this weekend, but that was on purpose. Flynn claims it's to "give them a break after finals". Not that they're arguing because having a gig each week gets tiring.

"So, are you two ever going to date?" Flynn bugs Reggie and Julie again, hoping for a yes. Julie looks to Reggie, who gives a slight nod, telling her she can break the news of them dating for over a month.

"We are." Julie's smile grows as Flynn looks between the two of them with awe.

"So, have you two kissed?" Flynn looks at the two of them, trying to wrap her head around the idea that they're actually dating. Reggie blushes furiously as Julie nods, and Flynn shrieks. "And you just decided not to tell me?"

"We've been dating in secret for about a month Flynn." Flynn grabs her best friend's arms, dragging her to make their faces nearly touch.

"I might have to declare Brielle my new best friend." Flynn threatens, before letting go of Julie's arms. "I thought we promised no more secrets."