• 43 • college, choices, and convincing

'I got too much dirt to come clean

Closets full of skeletons that you don't wanna see'

--

Class flew by for Anne after she willingly shared her life story with people she didn't know. Liz stopped focusing on her and instead made her students speak up about all of the wild and interesting stories they had written about.

All she could think about was how she'd never get anything like this in Charlottetown, let alone Avonlea.

When class ended, Maggie walked up to her desk, "Ready?"

Anne nodded tiredly, "Ready."

As they walked out the door, Liz called back to them, "Wait."

Anne and Maggie turned around to see Liz stumbling over her feet to talk to Anne before she left, "Will I be seeing you again, Anne?"

Anne shook her head, "I leave on Sunday. Unless you have class on the weekend...."

"I didn't ask about Monday, I asked if I'll see you again."

Anne knew what she meant. Liz wanted her to come to U of T. As much as it warmed Anne's soul, she couldn't help the ache in her heart, "I'm not sure."

Liz's face fell, "Why not? Surely you enjoyed yourself today...right?"

"I did, I loved it here." Anne followed up quickly, "But there are...other reasons."

"Maggie, you're excused." Liz mumbled. She wanted to give Anne a chance to say whatever she needed to.

Maggie was never one to lack confidence, so she smiled, "I'll be outside when you're done." And left.

"One of my brightest students." Liz commented when the door closed, "Do you know where she's from?"

"Where?"

"Mahone's Bay, Nova Scotia. A small town, like you."

Anne's jaw dropped, Maggie was so culturally advanced. How on earth could she be someone raised in the country?

"She came here on a full scholarship, because she otherwise couldn't afford it."

Anne couldn't find the right words to say.

"Do you know why I'm telling you this?" Liz smiled, trying to consume her own excitement.

"No...." Anne trailed off. All of her intuition was gone.

"Anne," Liz put her hand on Anne's shoulder, "I want you to come here. I think we need you just as much as you need us."

"What do you mean?"

"You saw the class. It's full of boys and only a few girls. Those girls are from the city. Rich parents, a higher class life, one where you don't need to harvest to live."

Anne was sweating.

"I needed Maggie because she brought a perspective these other kids couldn't imagine. They were never orphans —"

Anne flinched.

"They didn't fight for their lives, for their education, for anything. Your experiences, as 'tragical' as they may be, are what make you special, Anne."

Liz stared intensely into Anne's eyes, "Your drive, your passion, your talent...are all unmatched."

"Thank you." Was all Anne could say.

"Don't thank me yet." Liz pulled her hand away from Anne and bit her lip in deep thought, "Not until I make sure you walk through that door next semester."