Chapter Nine

"I grew up with my foster parents; they told me my parents had died. One day my curiosity got the better of me, and I did a DNA test. When I got the results back, I found out I am related to the Fowls, to you. Obviously, I googled it the moment I got home; that's when I found out they're alive. I ran away in hope you'll have more information about me," I told Artemis the lie Carla built; I know I sound convincing.

"Who are your foster parents?" Artemis inquired.

"Mike and Lidia Smith," I recite the names Carla and me chose.

They're real people, you know. They know Carla well enough to confirm the story but not well enough so that Artemis will associate them with her. They also look different enough from me to give them a valid reason to tell me I'm adopted in the first place.

Artemis motions to Butler, who pulls out a phone and starts typing, presumably checking the words I just stated. he hands the phone over to Artemis. Artemis scrolls down the phone, taking in every detail, then hands the phone back to Butler, apparently satisfied, for now at least. I'm sure he'll check again when he gets home.

"And that's all you know?" he asks doubtfully

"yes," I reply, adding a sad note to my voice.

He nods slowly, "How would you feel about staying at Fowl manor for a while?"

I smile, "I would love that."

I can tell he's not convinced by my act, which means he's concluded that if I am an enemy, I'm a sophisticated one that won't strike right away, so the best way to find out more about me is by letting me come. But he'll be keeping a close I one me, so I'll have to be careful.

"Now, would you like to order?" asks Artemis.

My smile widens, "Absolutely."