Chapter 34 - Spies among us

"Did you confirm what leaks we have Eclis?" Heinrick switched from goofy one moment to sharp and calculating the next. Before I could even blink. I still wasn't used to it. Eclis' gaze finally left me to turn back to Heinrick and I took that opportunity to drink in his appearance once more. His black hair was perfectly styled back without a stray strand anywhere. He wore a vest and jacket similar in style to Richards with ornate gold threading and patterning on black velvet. It fit his form perfectly, hinting at his strong chest and arms.

"What are you two talking about?" Richard paused mid sip to glare accusingly at both men.

"Before I left, we prepared things to determine just how many leaks this ship has sprung." Turning back to Heinrick, Eclis answered, "The palace proper is safe. None of the three factions indicated they heard any of the fake rumors we tried to leak inside."

"I thought so. The palace is staffed by the Ba'alings and we pay them very well. Why risk a sanctuary like this for more coin?" Heinrick sounded defensive, causing me to smile. Over the week that we'd been spending more time together it became clear that he held no reservations towards any of the races within the castle. He treated the servants like staff rather than slaves and I often saw him speaking with them like friends. The same could be said of the knights.

"There are more ways to coerce others than just coin," Eclis pointedly added, "But for now it seems we'll be fine."

"Then what of the knights?" Heinrick leaned in.

"They're in contact with the Dominion." Heinrick cursed hearing it. Richard seemed lost as well.

"Why wasn't I privy to this?" Richard sounded offended.

"You needed to focus on you two attending the palace, Richard. With James doing all the estate work, I've got nothing better to do." Heinrick shrugged nonchalant. Richard's brows remained furrowed though. He didn't look convinced.

"Thus far, it would seem the mercantile faction isn't able to buy off any of the staff. I seeded several rumors that would've been of interest to them, but they acted on none of it." Eclis looked pleased. "For now its just the knights that are compromised." He turned to me. "Whenever eyes outside the palace see us-"

"We shouldn't appear close." I spoke flatly. He nodded.

"And the Imperial faction?" Richard asked. It was the emperor who had admitted he used Richard to spy on house Dumont, but I wondered if he was also in with the imperial faction too judging by his interest.

"If they've heard anything, they gave no indication. Our conversations were very surface level. We switched between events I'd missed, reminiscing on the older times, and policy. It would seem they're acting carefully."

"What are you thinking Heinrick?" I couldn't contain my curiosity either. After hearing that the knights were communicating with the Dominion faction, he'd looked furious. I could practically see hot air rising from his temple.

"I'm thinking about the most efficient way to burn the barracks down lass." I laughed.

"We'll leave things for now." Heinrick moved to protest but a pointed look from Eclis silenced him. "I'll have Alphonse ensure they can't hear anything from the palace staff. For now, restrict their access. We can use them to feed information to the Dominion. Of the three factions they're the easiest to manipulate." Heinrick didn't look happy with the decision but nodded anyways.

Richard glanced at me again, likely wondering why I was being included on conversations like this. He decided to speak anyways. "There have been rumors that the Imperial faction are breaking their support away from the emperor. That is likely why their conversations with you were so trivial. It would also explain why they didn't even present a present or gift at the palace." Ah, that's why he looked reluctant to speak. Any conversation about turning ones back on the emperor could be accused of treason if the wrong person heard it.