Chapter 13 - I don't belong here

With all eyes on us, I decided to take his escort. Eclis walked us up the polished stone steps to where the butler and three others were waiting. The butler bowed low to both of us. He wore what could only be described as a classic butler's attire, complete with a monocle and snow-white hair.

"It has been so long master; I had feared you would never come home." I relaxed hearing how sincere he was. It was almost as if he were in tears. When he raised himself, I realized he was in fact crying and smiled. Their reunion was never described in the books, but judging from how Eclis was supposed to be compared to how he was now... I did a good thing forming this contract. "And you must be the new wife I've heard so much about." I stiffened. Because vampires could have multiple sacrifices, there was often a designated 'Wife' or head of the household. That was a role Eclis would later offer Julia, not me... And I didn't plan to stay here anyways.

"The teleport was rather hard on her and our journey was long. Lets continue this inside, shall we?" Eclis cut him off before I could correct him. Its probably for the best, he can clear the misunderstanding later.

"Of course! Of course, My name is Alphonse Madam." Before he could usher us in the three men beside him spoke.

"I am Heinrick Rass, Vassal to His Grace." He bowed his head to me. Heinrick had short brown hair and a stocky build, while his clothes looked richly fashioned, they also reminded one of a soldier dressed in leathers. One of the few men in the empire who could boast himself as Eclis' friend, he appeared in the book to help Julia several times. Before that though, he was supposed to have a falling out with Eclis in the next year. Perhaps that won't happen now that Eclis isn't half mad.

"You'll all have your chance to introduce yourselves, right now she needs to rest." Eclis snapped. The other two looked disappointed but I already knew who they were. The one with the long black ponytail and slender frame was Richard Vetter, the only vassal to stay at Eclis' side during his more tumultuous time. He was a spy for the crown prince. Beside him was James Etten, now a noble vampire who had his own sacrifice, he had started in Eclis' palace as a knight to one of Eclis' late sacrifices. The very sacrifice that later went on to betray Eclis, landing him in that prison. If I remember correctly, James doesn't know what happened yet.

"I am in your care." I curtsied for all four of them. The genuine welcoming smiles they gave me rattled the anxiety I was still feeling.

The double doors to the palace were massive, at least thirty feet high. Inside the floors shined reflecting the light off the magic torches. The entire place was lit with magic giving it a warm bright feel. There were two grand staircases leading up to a second story. Above them a beautiful chandelier scattered a billion little stars across the ceiling. It was beautiful. It all just made me feel so out of place.

The entire entrance was filled with maids, gardeners, cooks, and a multitude of other palace workers waiting to welcome their Duke home. Eclis wasn't smiling, but somehow, I knew he was touched.

"It has been too long since I've come home. Some of you know me, others have served and never seen me. I expect your utmost loyalty and diligence in your duty. In return I will protect you and make this place prosper once again." They all bowed as low as the carriage driver had, before quickly leaving the foyer.

"Have you two eaten?" Alphonse was very eager to serve it seemed.

"No I haven't yet." We'd quickly departed the airship and immediately came here. It was the middle of the night now anyways and food hadn't crossed my mind.

"The chef's have already prepared your meals. Do you have any allergies madam?" Stars were glinting in his eyes now.

"I'm a bit lactose intolerant, but otherwise no."

"Ah! Yes... Lactose... Intolerant."

"Actually..." In truth, my original body was lactose intolerant. But this wasn't my body. Another wave of nausea washed over me. "What I mean is I'm sensitive to too much dairy, but a little is fine." I'd already said I was intolerant and didn't know how to explain that I in fact didn't know what things I was now potentially allergic too. I'll just go with it... Come to think of it, I could've been deathly allergic to shellfish back in Eridia... The thought didn't help my anxiety.

"We'll take it in the private dining room." Beside me I saw as the hopes of the three vassals crushed. I felt bad that I was relieved I didn't have to dine with anyone else today. It was hard to hide the tremor in my hands. Something was really off.

We left them there, climbing one of the staircases down a hall I hadn't noticed. Even the hallways had vaulted ceilings. Paintings and tapestries adorned the walls. Nothing caught my attention. All my focus was on keeping my anxiety at bay and the nausea under control.

The meal was grand. An entire feast had been laid out on a long table. Me and Eclis sat at either end to the music of a large fireplace. Soups, Salads, various meats, and vegetables were all brought out on silver dinnerware. It was all a blur, and my appetite was no where to be found. I don't remember how I had been excused, but I found myself being shown the way to my room by the butler. He was chatting about the history of the palace and a twinge of guilt struck me. Especially because all of the things he was saying were things I genuinely wanted to know; I just wasn't in the right headspace to hear it now. Maybe sleep would set things right.

My 'room' was in reality more of an apartment. The first door opened into a parlor for entertaining guests. It was richly decorated, with leather upholstered couches and a gleaming coffee table in the center of the room. There were empty shelves along the walls that I could display my treasures on. To the left the room continued into a sunroom, furnished with a table and chairs, and surrounded by a beautiful view of the garden. The right side of the parlor housed a separate room which acted as both a study and a private library. The shelves were already adorned with books that had been hastily displayed for me and Alphonse kept reassuring me that they could switch out every book there until it suited my tastes. In the room were comfortable recliners to read in and a grand maple desk at its center.

On the opposite end of the parlor was the door to my bedroom. It was equally as huge as the other three rooms combined. On one end was a giant vanity surrounded by drawers and displays for jewelry as well as a walk in closet for all my clothes. There was an en suite bathroom with a tub one could practically swim in. It was even inset into the floor with a beautiful water feature feeding into it. There was even another place to take tea in private with a stunning view of the lake. Lastly, In the middle of the room was a giant poster bed with beautiful white curtains. Throughout the tour Alphonse was practically glowing with joy. He seemed so happy to show me this room and continued to proclaim that he and everyone else in the palace would work tirelessly to make this place my home. All I could feel was bile rising in my throat.

This room wasn't my room. This body wasn't my body. None of this was where I belonged. This wasn't my world. I don't belong here.

"Madam!" Alphonse's worried yell brought me back and I looked at him confused. The metallic taste of rust and salt brought my eyes down to my chest. Blood. Another gush of blood left my mouth, and the room went dark.