Chapter 10 - The line in the sand

The vessel Eclis had commissioned was massive. As massive as a modern cargo ship from our world, though it was taller than one and topped with four masts, each boasting a colourful sail. We were already boarded waiting on the deck with many other passengers for the vessel to depart.

Eclis, true to form was a man of few words. While all the other passengers were on the port side of the deck waiving Eridia goodbye, he stood alone on the opposite side, staring out to sea. The wind tousled his hair and in growing light of dawn his eyes glowed. A foghorn blasted and the disconnected voice of the captain could be heard Directing passengers away from the edges of the deck. Magic stones scattered across the deck were emitting his voice as if here were right there.

The boat's sails fell, one by one, filling with wind. Odd, the wind is blowing a different direction. We lurched away from the port. No wonder they wanted us away from the edges. We lurched again, though not in the direction we were heading. IT WAS AN AIRSHIP.

My face lit up as we picked up speed rising higher and faster. In that same moment Eclis glanced back at me and I gave him my biggest smile. Now this was traveling. Airships were the Magiteck wonders of this world. They could fly despite not using the laws of lift, instead relying purely on wind magic. They were also one of the contributing reasons why Tyrra and Ganimede had yet to go back to war. Tyrra, surprisingly had the advantage in Airship technology despite restricting who could learn magic among its citizens. Ganimede on the other hand had a more powerful army given that all citizens had access to learn magic. It kept the two countries in a stalemate. Until Eclis returns that is.

He looked so serene right now watching as dawn drew nearer... But I couldn't help but dwell on the coming war his return would spark. It didn't seem fair. He'd already fought to liberate the free peoples yet the moment he returned they want him to fight again? for what? Nothing but lingering hate.

The deck grew cold as the ship reached altitude. Once the captain had announced it was safe to look over the edge people rushed to view Eridia from above. The city twinkled in the early dawn light. After drinking in the view, I returned to Eclis.

"We should head inside, the suns rising." When Julia had first met Eclis he was still unable to stand in the daylight. Only elder vampires that had accumulated massive amounts of power were capable of it and Eclis, having fed only on uncontracted blood once in the past year, hadn't regained enough of his power to do so.

When he didn't react, I tugged gently on his sleeve. Instead of moving though, he reached his arm around me pulling me closer. Did he mean to watch the sun rise? My face flushed from the contact. It was warm with his arm draped over my shoulders like this, holding me to his side. We watched as the sky slowly transformed; painted it in beautiful hues. My anxiety ebbed and then faded away as the sun finally rose over the ocean. It wasn't until I yawned that he finally spoke.

"Shall we head to our room?" I nodded, rubbing my eyes. So much had changed already from the Novel. It made me happy knowing he wasn't going to suffer as much this time. He kept his hand on the small of my back, escorting me below decks. The contact kept my heart on edge, but I didn't push him away. I'm just too tired to right now.

The ship was large, but the majority of its hull was for cargo. There were maybe a hundred passengers aboard, all of which were nobles. Our room was on the top floor and I gasped when I saw it. For a room on a ship, it was huge and richly furnished. The far wall was half windows showcasing the view. The curtains were richly embroidered and a deep forest green. On one side of the room was a large wooden desk bolted to the floor, and the other was a king-sized bed with see through curtains crowning it. The wood was ornately carved and beautifully gilded.

"I'm glad you like it. I have some things I need to do to prepare for our arrival, you should go eat first before you retire." Before I could ask him where the galley was a servant appeared beside me.

Leave it to romance novels to have all the luxuries in the world. The galley was clearly meant to cater only to nobles. It was large with white round tables spaced far apart from each other and bustling with servers. Like ghosts they refilled drinks before they'd fully depleted and often unnoticed by their patron. Once I was seated, I was informed they offered a three course and five course options. They even served tea in suite, complete with cakes and sweets.

This place was heaven. Never take me back home! The three-course breakfast came; first was fruits in porridge topped with cream and sugar. Next was fluffy scrambled eggs bacon and a blue bread that was better than wheat, though I couldn't remember it being described in the book. Finally, it was finished off with pastries akin to strudels, though the fruit filling was strongly tart and flavourful, and the pastry was buttery and flaky. At first, I was worried eating here since etiquette was the language of nobles, and I was in a den of them. The moment I set to eating everything came to me like it were my own memory. It seemed whoever she was, she was a noble and she at least left me with her instincts. A thought occurred. Nobles in Tyrra were all trained in magic, regardless of gender. Would this body remember?

After my meal, the server was ready to lead me back to my room. He opened the door for me leaving me with no option but to enter alone with Eclis. He was seated at the desk surrounded by tools, each of which were burring and buzzing in use. One created a screen in front of him text scrolling so fast I couldn't fathom he was reading it.

One bed. Internally I cringed. For a moment I warred with myself. Did I want to cause a fuss and demand a separate room? No. Wait. If there was another room available, I'm sure he would've booked it. Just yesterday he suspected me as a tool to betray him so of course he wouldn't book a single room if he had no other choice. Sighing, I resigned myself to this fate and sat on the bed. It was just like the mattress I had at home. I laid back and enjoyed the feel of the soft sheets against my skin. My eyes met with Eclis'. How long had he been watching me?

"Tell me if this is too soon... Would you allow me some of your blood?" The thirst he experienced after being imprisoned was described as maddening and never ending. It took months of frequent feeding with Julia for it to finally be quenched. I knew this, I even agreed to it for the next year. I still flinched. Traces of the burning sensation tingled under my skin but its memory didn't linger. "You may always say no. Even if its simply because you don't feel like it. I will not force you." I had to stifle the smile that came reflexively upon hearing the same words he spoke to Julia. Having eaten all those magic oysters, I felt better than ever, like I had never lost any blood to begin with. Even the wound on my head was gone.

"I can, but I would like you to bite here." My finger tapped the inside of my left hand elbow. The crook of your elbow is where a vampire knight would bite, or a contractor who had no intention of sleeping with his sacrifice. Biting the neck was a way of signaling intention that you'd sleep with them. In essence, I was drawing the line in the sand.