Chapter 27 - Training Begins

Heinrick sent me a spare squire's uniform to use for our training today. I put it on immediately. It was so refreshing to wear pants again. Even though the fabric was uncomfortable, and the pants weren't designed for my shape, I was happy. When it came time to put on my shirt I was faced with my next wardrobe problem. Thus far I hadn't seen anything akin to a modern day bra here and it would be impossible to train in a corset. Instead, I instructed Maybella to bind my breasts. She had to tie it three times before I was happy with the fit. Afterwards, she expertly tied my hair in a bun, interspersing it with tiny sapphire beads that matched well with the blue uniform. Even for something as simple as training, I had to look my best it seemed.

Heinrick met me outside the knights' barracks. It was easy enough to ignore the glances his men stole when they thought I wouldn't see. It was harder to ignore the death glares and killing miasma Heinrick was putting off every time he noticed them look... And he noticed every single time.

"So, your highness, what training have you received in the past?" Whenever he turned to me his entire aura would shift and a carefree smile would reappear on his face. The changes were giving me whiplash.

"This would be my first time actually." He gave me an incredulous look, "At least I haven't learned any bad habits yet eh?" That drew out a chuckle.

"That is true. You're like fresh clay for me then." While he said this, he still sounded reluctant. This was a man who trains and leads armies. Some of the greatest adventurers and knights came from his mentorship, and here he was forced to train a tiny girl like me. In his eyes I must be the biggest burden. Sucks for him.

We quickly arrived at the training field. He cut through it, aiming for a more secluded spot. "Sir Heinrick. I do want you to know, I wasn't joking when I said I intended to learn how to actually fight."

"I know. I've heard about the interesting goal you have in mind Madam." His voice still held doubt. It seemed the only way to win him over was to show him. We stopped at the edge of the training grounds. All the way around the field was a trail the knights used to keep in shape. "Your first task is to gain some muscle. Every day, and I mean every day, you will run three laps. I donna want to see you resting either." At odd times he'd regress into an accent from his homeland. Like while he was being stern.

"Understood." I stood at attention and gave him a salute. He glared back at me.

"And none of that sass either. While I am your mentor, you'll be referring to me as Master or Sir. You're nothing but a squire while you're here, understood?" Now that class had begun, his entire demeanour towards me changed. Unlike before when he'd referred to me with respectful pronouns in this language, now he referred to me as if I were his underline. His eyes became sharp, and his aura was like that of a commander.

"Understood sir." I grew serious as well. He wasn't doing this for himself after all. This was all for me and I intended to make the most of it.

"Afterwards, I want to see you do two sets of five sets of push ups, then a set of ten, and finally finishing off with two sets of five again. like so," He dropped to the ground quickly assuming perfect form while he pushed himself off the ground, keeping his elbows in and his back and knees perfectly straight.

I kneeled, assuming the same form Heinrick did. Thankfully, I had at least learned how to properly exercise in my world to. It was just teaching this body to match what the mind knew. After two push-ups my arms begun to shake.

"Next, squats." He quickly changed positions and I scrambled to keep up. "Like so. Same amount of sets. Do you remember?"

"Two sets of five, one of ten, two of five again." My thighs were already burning from four squats. I had a feeling getting into shape was going to kill me.