Chapter 9 - Come with me

It was gentlemanly of him to wait for a response so politely, but I couldn't help but wonder if he was enjoying watching me sweat like this. "Right. Uhh... How do I explain this." While none of his other smiles had reached his eyes, now they twinkled with amusement. It was a sight better than I had imagined, if only it wasn't because I was struggling right now. "Ahem. Ok, Duke, remember how I mentioned this was a love story?" That got his attention. "Well. I'm just an unnamed side character here, I'm not even supposed to be alive right now. The person you fall in love with will meet you in the capital in a year." When dealing with a being that can tell your every lie, honesty really was the best policy.

"A person I will fall in love with will meet me in the capital in a year?" The amusement was gone in his eyes now, replaced by a flawless wall of unreadable calm.

"Yes. That's why I won't follow you. Making that contract with you should have already changed your story enough, but I can't see how my presence will help you any further." They had matched a green tea with the seafood, and it was a wonderful palate cleanser. It was also a great distraction from his eyes.

"Then who will help me regain my strength for the next year?" His question gave me pause. In the book Eclis, after killing whoever I was, refused to take a sacrifice upon returning to the capital despite the numerous attempts by his vassals to convince him otherwise. It was yet another reason why he struggled through the hardships the book threw at him. He gave himself no chances to recover his strength. Right. Even if he hasn't been poisoned by uncontracted blood, he's still only fed once now. It wasn't a bad deal either if it was only for a year. As a sacrifice I would have access to the various magical texts stored in the capitals libraries as well as the ones in Eclis' personal collection. There were knights as well, who could teach me the basics of sword fighting and how to survive in this world. But I would need to resist getting attached too him for an entire year.... Buuut, I would get to see him up close like this for an entire year. It was a tough decision. Let's decide after more oysters. They really did restore one's fatigue, the aching in my legs and neck had disappeared.

"Alright, I don't see why I can't help you at least for the next year." He looked satisfied.

"The boat that will take us to Ganimede leaves this morning, have you ever traveled by boat before?"

"No actually." It was impossible to hide my excitement at the prospect.

"Well you won't have anything to worry about with me there." I hadn't even thought about worrying.

With our meal finished he escorted me back to the inn. It was only after we were halfway there that I realized I had happily accepted his escort. Damn oysters. His arm really was strong though underneath the black fabric. In the book Eclis often wore black and it was no exception here, though he was dressed down compared to the fancy garments he was often described in in the book. Instead, it was just a plain black shirt, a black vest and pants with a short cape that covered his left shoulder. For a moment I wondered if I could dress him in other colours.

Back at the inn Eclis parted with me stating he had some more business to take care before our departure. I flumped onto the uncomfortable bed and must've immediately fell asleep because when I blinked, Eclis was there.

Eclis was disturbed. He had been saved by an otherworldly being that loved him, yet truly believed she didn't. Her actions and words simply didn't match up. He smiled. Sacrifices were the source of his power but were also his greatest weakness. Here, he had one without any connections to this world that, due to her love for him, would be resistant to being swayed to betray him. Of course, he wasn't just going to let her go.

At the dock he met with the shipmaster. "I've had a change of heart. Instead of two rooms, I just need one. The biggest one you have."

He wasn't a man who liked to force others against their will. He liked that she had willingly chosen to form the contract with him. He enjoyed watching her struggle to decide what to do, only to agree to stay with him. He also enjoyed that she hadn't caught the fact that he had never agreed to let her go after a year. Vampires were designed to seduce mortals. Patience was the key.

The smile she'd had after facing the mugger wouldn't leave his mind. When she'd faced the mugger he'd sent after her, he had planned to be the knight in shining armor, earning her forgiveness in the process... He hadn't expected how entranced he would be with her feral smile after she'd taken care it herself. She'd looked like a tom cat in that alley, and he liked it. He couldn't stop watching her as she discovered things for the first time in the market. Unguarded, every emotion and thought flickered like an open book across her face.

"Jazz... You're mine." A dangerous glint flashed in his eye.