Complete Me: Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Jak Kirkland backed out of the store's front entrance, keeping his gaze on the floor and any sudden movement from the shadows, while Cole stuffed his hands in his pockets and sauntered down the sidewalk.

"Where are we going?" Jak asked him when he caught up.

"There's a jeweler down the street, right?" Cole said.

Jak nodded, stumbled, and stopped. "Is this...? Are you...? Wait, she's not...?"

"Yes, yes, and no," Cole said, crossing the intersection. At the other corner, Jak grabbed his arm and turned him around.

"Are you serious about this?"

Cole looked up at Rose's brother. As calmly as he could, he repeated, "Yes."

"What if she says no?"

Cole smiled and continued walking. He'd never been more sure about anything in his life. The problem he faced — not the prospect of Rose's refusal — was, could he afford much? He had his credit card. He hated using it. But for this...he'd max out the damn thing to have his ring on Rose's finger.

She said, We.

"We" could raise a family.

"We" could have a home with a yard. Okay, well, he couldn't do much about that part, but he could manage the "we" detail today. And he had Jak to help him. Because, frankly...choosing a ring for his butterfly had him quaking in his shoes.

What would she like? Diamonds? Or a pearl? Or something simple, like Rosalie's ring? She didn't wear much jewelry as it was, so he had no inkling to her preferred style in that manner.

Jak walked along with him to the jewelry store past the next block, not speaking, until they reached the double glass doors. Then he said, "Are you sure you want me with you? This is one of those private things...I think."

Cole placed his hand on the handle and paused. "Well, since you are her brother, and I planned to ask if you'd be my best man at our wedding...I thought your insight would be helpful."

Jak stared at him as if he'd suddenly turned polka dots. His green eyes — so similar, yet so different, from Rose's — misted, and the man whipped around and put his hands on his hips. "Just...just give me a sec..."

"Take your time," Cole replied. He waved at the lady inside who motioned at him to come in. And the two men stood on the sidewalk like that for three changes of the nearest traffic light. Jak swiped at his nose, sucked in a deep breath and faced Cole.

"Okay. I'm ready."

They entered the air conditioned store and both exhaled quickly at the same time. Though maybe for different reasons. Jak still gathered his wits, and Cole instantly felt overwhelmed. There were cases and cases of fine jewelry all around them. At least half of them displayed rings. This was going to be harder than he thought.

Cole walked over to the nearest ring cabinet and blinked down at them. Diamond rings, set in white gold, yellow gold, rose gold, in platinum, in a black metal and blue. There were round diamonds and square diamonds, heart-shaped diamonds and diamond-shaped diamonds. Some with clusters of tiny diamonds, some with other gemstones. Another case showed colored gems sitting prime on the bands instead of diamonds. And there were pearls in just as many colors and shapes. Feeling his palms beginning to sweat, he stuffed them back into his pockets and focused on breathing evenly.

The lady behind the counter smiled politely. "My name is Judy. Good to see you, Jak."

"Hello, Ms. Judy," Jak said. "You are looking mighty fine today."