Complete Me: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"And what does he do for work?" Rose's father asked her. "Did you ever find out? He could be running a drug ring or a pornography website, for all you know."

"He's an editor," she said defensively. "He works for himself."

"Well, his job obviously doesn't keep him very busy."

"Dad, why are you really here?" she asked tiredly.

"I wanted to meet this Fuller for myself," he said, a small pout in his voice. "Everyone else has."

"Everyone, who?" she asked. "It's only Mom and Jak who have met him. Jeez, you're acting like I'm dating this man."

"Are you?"

"I barely know him!"

"You keep saying that, but you two looked cozy at that piano."

"He's a nice guy," she said. "We're just friends."

"But you barely know him," he retorted.

"Daddy, would you like a reproduction Tiffany lamp?"

He frowned. "A what?"

"Or a set of sterling silver napkin rings?"

"Why would I want napkin rings?"

"I also have the complete series of the Dragonlance books."

"What, in god's name, are you talking about?"

"Unfortunately, we're not buying right now," she informed him. "Still have some legal issues to clear up before we can take on new inventory."

"Oh, I see what you're doing," he said, going from frown to severe pout. It always looked odd on her father, but lately he seemed so sulky when he didn't get his way. "Very funny."

"Daddy, I'm tired," she said. "I was up half the night at the vet clinic, I have to update some accounts, and I haven't been to the grocery store in over a week. I appreciate your checking up on me—really, I do—but haven't you heard the phrase, 'No news is good news'?"

"Just trying to be a daddy," he said, putting his arm around her shoulders. "You kids won't let me do anything anymore."

"That's because you raised us right," she said, smiling up at him. "You know that when we do need you, we'll let you know."

He heaved a sigh. "But I'm bored, Rose. I've got nothing to do all day, now that I retired."

"Did you ever think more about getting her that guinea pig?"

"I brought it up," he said. "And she burst into tears. She said she couldn't go through that again. They don't live very long, you know."

"Then I suggest you find a project," she said.

He thought for a moment. "You know Johnny Beale has thought about selling his mother's house, since he can't keep up with the repairs to rent it out. I know enough to do the basics and the electrical stuff. And Rufus could give me pointers on the rest. I could get my contractor's license. And there's that other apartment upstairs that needs to be updated, so you can get more income..."

"Sounds like a good plan," Rose said, smiling, but she briefly thought, Daddy working in my building all day? Dear God.... "You could also volunteer at the retirement center. They are always needed some help maintaining the outside areas. Grandma would love seeing you more often."

"She would love seeing all of us more often," he said with a slight reprimand.

"I'm going over there tonight and on Tuesday," she said. "But Daddy...have you noticed that she...that she's..."