Complete Me: Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Rose's toe ached from Cole stepping on it, but she ignored the pain as soon as he started kissing her. Now, he gathered her up from the table, swung her around, her knee hit the corner, and she grunted under her breath, but he continued to lavish her with those wonderful kisses, so she tried to ignore that, too. However, he stepped on the loaf of bread on the floor, slipped, and banged her shoulder into the refrigerator. The jarring motion shoved his teeth against her lips. That hurt. She jerked back.

"Sorry," he said. "Are you okay?"

His eyes were deep and penetrating, dark with passion, and Rose's heart flipped, so she disregarded his question to fasten their mouths together again. His hand slipped to hold her more steadily, cupping her bottom under her skirt. Okay, he was a bit clumsy. That was fine. She never felt this impulsive and free. And his hand was so warm there, actually touching skin, and he massaged and squeezed so wonderfully.

If only they were out of the kitchen...

A peek between kisses showed that he attempted to carry her toward the bedroom. Then he crashed into the back of her armchair, and they both nearly fell. "Sorry," he muttered, and kissed her neck. Tingles flourished up and down her body. They made it around the chair, and thankfully around the rest of the furniture in the living room. But the doorway between her bedroom and living area seemed to baffle him. First, they knocked into one side, and then the other, and he rested there for a moment to resettle her body in his grasp. They stumbled through the doorway sideways, he tripped over the corner of her rug, and they crash-landed on top of her bed.

Cole's mouth never broke contact.

His hands moved from under her skirt to under her shirt, spreading his fingers over her stomach and pushing the fabric upwards. Rose was happy to rid herself of the shirt, raising up to pull it off and baring her upper body to him. He made a helpless sound, touched his lips to her chest in the vee of her bra and ripped off his own shirt. They hung halfway off the mattress, so Rose scooted backward, toward the pillows, and Cole followed her. But as she moved, she realized that her bed was still littered with clothes from her closet — she just could not find anything to wear that morning.

It's fine, she told herself, as she eased a yellow dress from under her hip and tossed it overboard.

Cole kissed her...and kissed her, and his hands glided up and down and around, and his bare chest pressed heavily on her...and Rose threw herself into the dizzying sensations... Nothing mattered but his body on hers, his lips on hers, his hands all over hers...

Until a sharp pike jabbed her in the spine, right between the vertebrae. Warning bells jingled in her intoxicated mind. She shifted for a more comfortable position...

Cole grasped her hips and hauled their bodies closer together...and the needle-like pain on her backbone intensified. Her rhinestone belt...she remembered she threw it on the bed that morning to go with the yellow dress...

She moaned in pain, but Cole didn't seem to hear. His hand had diverted to the side buttons of her skirt, plucking them loose one at a time. "Cole...Cole, I have to move...Cole?"

The skirt band loosened. He lifted her hips to slide it down, pushing her back further into her belt—

"Ow!...no, stop," she said, and he finally looked into her face.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm lying on something...I have to move."

"Oh...okay."

He rolled to the other side of the bed, taking her with him, but he misjudged the remaining space of her mattress, and when his left shoulder met with only air, the laws of physics sent them both rolling off the bed. Cole landed on the floor between bed and wall...