Complete Me: Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Rose guided Mona through the store for the rest of the afternoon. The girl was a bundle of energy, smiles and curiosity. She learned the filing system in the blink of an eye, was able to click her way through Rose's computer, and even showed Rose a new way of keeping track of inventory, billing and purchases. She even helped Rose feed the kittens. When closing arrived, Rose took her upstairs to see the unfinished apartment.

"Way cool!" Mona exclaimed, bounding over to the windows to look out. "Oh! Cousin Rufus is here!" She waved violently through the dusty glass. "I'll go let him in."

Mona skipped out of the room and galloped down the stairs. Rose had to stand back in a corner so the hurricane winds didn't blow her away.

"Rose! I think your parents are here, too!"

Momma and Daddy?

Rose headed down to the back door. She saw her parents chatting in the parking lot to Sheila Rae's brother Rufus. "Hey, sweetie," her mother said when Rose emerged from the building.

"Hi," Rose said, moving closer. "What brings you out this way?"

Her mother leaned over to kiss her cheek. "We're taking your babies."

"What?"

Hannah Kirkland smiled. "You need a break. We promised to babysit for a few days."

"Promised? Promised who?" Rose asked.

Her father shook Rufus' hand, turned to Rose and answered, "Cole asked us."

Mona and her uncle went inside to look at the apartment, and Rose gazed thoughtfully at her parents. But Cole was the person on her mind at the moment. "Did he?"

Her father nodded. "And don't say he had no right, because frankly, he does have every right."

Her mother took Rose's arm. "Let's go inside to talk about it. It's hot out here."

Rose sighed. "I really don't want to talk about Cole right now."

Her mother smiled. "Tough."

And the three of them herded back up the stairs and into her apartment. Rose could hear the snap of a tape measure from Mona's apartment and Mona reciting numbers in her cheerful voice.

"Can I get you anything?" Rose asked her parents. "I was going to heat up a frozen pot pie for dinner, but I can make something else."

Her father grunted and sat down in her reading chair. He glanced at the basket of unfolded laundry next to the chair and the teacups on the side table. "You hate frozen dinners."

"Well, I haven't had a lot of time to cook lately," Rose defended herself, which caused her dad to point his finger and say, "And that's why we're taking your kittens for the weekend. Cole said you were working too much, and now I believe him."

Rose sank to her sofa, rubbing her forehead. Lately, the dull ache behind her eyes came more frequently. "When...when did he ask this?"

"Yesterday."

Her mother bustled in the kitchen, pulling items from the refrigerator and cabinets. Rose glanced her way. "Momma, what are you doing?"

"You need real food, not frozen pot pie," her mother answered, setting a pot of water and a saute pan on the stove. "I am making dinner while you and your dad talk. Is that chicken in the fridge still good?"

"Um...yes..."

Her father settled back in her chair, crossing one leg over the other. "Cole asked you to go to Boston with him."