19. Breaking the Habit

"I don't know how I got this way; I'll never be alright . . ."

My heart feels like it's dropped to the bottom of my stomach, but when I turn around and see Harry emerge from the shadows of my house, it rises to the base of my throat. There, my nerves build up and form a lump in before I swallow, pushing it down.

Fear keeps me frozen in place as he steps forward. The light from the full moon reflects on him, illuminating the massive grin that has spread itself across his face. He was amused, that much was clear.

"Is someone sneaking out?" he teases. "Daddy wouldn't be pleased to hear that, it would be horrible if he were to find out."

"Please don't tell him," I beg. He smiles at my desperation, the smirk on his face turning into a mischievous grin. "Please, I'll do anything."

"Anything?" he muses, and I frantically nod my head. "Well, that sure sounds tempting. I could have anything I wanted in return for keeping my mouth shut. I'd be a fool to pass up that offer, wouldn't I?"

I can practically see the ideas forming in his head as he tilts it to the side ever so slightly, his gaze never leaving my own. There's no doubt that he has power over me, and the smirk on his face tells me that he's enjoying every second of it.

"Tell me, Lyza. Where were you headed before I stopped you?"

I hesitate for a moment, internally deciding whether or not it would be a good idea to mention the party. I don't know if I can trust him, he might use the information against me and tell my father no matter what he had promised before. I could lie and come up with another excuse, but where would that get me?

"If you don't want to tell me, I could bring your father out here and you could explain it to him instead," he warns, turning around as if he's going to walk over to the front door of my house. My father sits inside, a mere few feet away. The knowledge of that causes my eyes to widen.

"No! No no no," I gush, running over to stand in front of Harry. My hands hover in the air, acting as a pathetic barrier to stop him from advancing. "I... I was sneaking out to go to a party."

His eyebrows rise in surprise. "A party?"

"Yes," I breathe, lowering my hands. "Now that I've told you what you wanted to know, can I go? I have people waiting for me."

He chuckles, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. "That was just a question, Lyza. What I want is entirely different."

I sigh, running my hands through my hair in frustration and impatience. "What is it?"

"I want to come with you."

His words shock me. I turn my head and meet his gaze, scanning my eyes over his face to determine whether or not he's serious. When his expression doesn't falter, I realize that he is.

"Why?"

He shrugs nonchalantly and crosses his arms over his chest. "Don't you remember what happened at the last party you went to? Are you sure you want to put yourself in that atmosphere again?"

"You were there," I point out, although that's obvious. "And you were one of the people that made the situation dangerous."

He looks at me and tilts his head to the side as if he were studying me, listening to every word I say with genuine interest. But then that look turns into one of offense, and I don't know what to say.

"Lyza," he sighs. "I was drunk."

"That's not an excuse. You attacked my friend on a whim; your sober thoughts were turned into drunk actions and I'm not sure I want a repeat of that tonight."