15. Light 'Em Up

". . . Be careful making wishes in the dark, can't be sure when they've hit their mark."

"Lyza, is there something you're not telling me?" my father asks, grabbing the remote to mute the TV. My eyes subconsciously dart to look outside for Harry, but he's long gone. I turn back to look at my dad, who sits on the couch, eyebrows raised in expectation as he waits for my answer.

"No, why?" I lie through my teeth, putting on a look of confusion. He stares at me for a few seconds and I bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from smiling. I'm not the best liar, especially when it comes to lying to a parent or authoritative figure. I always end up panicking under pressure and cope by laughing off my nerves, which isn't the best thing to do in situations like this.

My dad must not notice, because he shrugs and turns his attention back towards the TV. "Just thought I'd ask."

I nod silently and let out a breath of relief that I didn't know I had been holding. My dad could usually see through my lies— whether it be about grades, how I'm feeling, or just the little things going on with my life. Today had been different, or maybe he just didn't see the point in questioning me further. I obviously had nothing to say.

I spin on my heel to go upstairs to my room, but my father stops me. "Miles is coming over soon to help clean the yard and check for any damage from the hurricane. I expect you to help him with that task and anything else he might need," he tells me.

I turn without a moment's hesitation. "Why can't you? You know more about that kind of stuff than I do."

He scowls at me. "Lyza, you know why."

It's been no secret that he's avoided the backyard like the plague ever since my mother died, but I honestly don't see why he can't just suck it up. He has to go out there eventually, I mean, it's been almost eleven years and he's barely even looked at the backyard. How much longer was this going to last?

"What's so bad about it? Honestly," I urge. I know that I might be acting a bit harsh, but I'm tired of picking up all of the extra slack around here. There's only so much one person can do, and I've reached my limit.

"Going out there just brings back bad memories that I'd rather live without," he says, shaking his head.

"So you're going to dump everything on me? Is that how it's gonna be?"

"Lyza-"

I squeeze my eyes shut. "I miss her too, you know. And I'm tired of you trying to act like nothing ever happened because it did, and we have to live with it. Maybe you would learn to accept it if you would take it for what it is. There's nothing we can do but go forward, yet you're stuck running in place, going nowhere. That's what your problem is. You won't let yourself come to terms with what happened."

I open my eyes and look at my dad, who looks distant as he stares the wall. His dark brown eyes are dull, lifeless almost, as he nods his head slowly. "You're right," he replies in monotone, and his voice sounds like a robot of the man that I knew before.

Suddenly, someone knocks on the front door, causing both of our heads to turn in the direction of the noise. I wipe at my eyes to check for any tears before walking over to the door and opening it. The wooden barrier swings out, revealing the boy standing in the doorway. He grins at me and I reciprocate the action, trying my best to hide any evidence of what just took place between my father and I.

"Shall we get started?" Miles asks, beaming brightly. I give a curt nod and he steps aside, pressing his back flat against the door to allow me room to pass. I do so and step outside, shriveling my face in disgust as the smell of sea water and trash fills my senses. The nasty combination had most likely been blown in by the hurricane, settling over the town along with the dark clouds that filled the sky.