{8} My Grandpa is a Jerk

Alright, new chapter! Just because I'm feeling nice. Oh and please check out my new story, "Not Quite Parallel'. I decided to try something different and I need opinions.

Pic on the side is Aphrodite, the song is Chronicals of A Fallen Love.

READ ON!!

*****

“Demigod’s! I have come here personally to claim your newest member!”

All eyes turned to me.

I instantly jumped up from the Aphrodite table. I looked at Ares like he was nuts.

How could this guy be my dad?

He mirrored my angry expression. “Don’t get pissy with me kid. I didn’t ask for this either.” he said.

I reached for my guns.

He held up a finger, “You can’t shoot me kid. I’m your grandpa.”

I found my voice then, “why can’t people just give me a simple answer? You just said you came here to claim me, but then you say you’re my grandfather? That’s not likely; I’m not as ugly as you.”

He just grinned, “You got spunk, I’ll give you that. My son was your dad. Took after his pops he did. But he’s not . . . around so I’m here to tell you that you’re more god than any of these punks.” He gestured around the pavilion.

I almost emptied my dinner on the floor.

I had no idea why I was so angry towards Ares; it might just make me a perpetually angry person.

It was possible.

I stepped forward, “Ares, just please be straight with me. I can’t take riddles, I got that from you.”

He laughed, “You’re more demigod than these guys because your mom is Aphrodite, and your dad was my son. This means that you’re three quarters god, not half god. Got it?”

I took a deep breath, “Okay, why did you show up here to tell me that?”

He was reaching inside his jacket pocket. I watched his every move.

“I showed up here to give you your dad’s shield. You might need it. And I like how you chose the weapons you want so soon. Master them and I’ll see you again.” At the end of his sentence he threw me a glove that I caught and studied briefly.

It was a leather hobo glove or gauntlet that matched my pistols exactly. It had the same markings and everything. I looked up at Ares suspiciously.

“I don’t need your help ‘grandad’,” I told him. But I put the glove on anyway.

He grinned, “Yeah kid. You do.”

All the kids around the pavilion were looking at something above my head.

I looked up.

There was a blood red dove circling a spear. I looked at it; and it was so beautiful that I couldn’t stop.

Then I heard Leo’s voice, “Cassie, look down.”

I followed his directions.

I was wearing a black dress. It was strapless and it was short at the front (going to my knees) and long at the back. It was made of silk, with a black chiffon overlay that was swirling with all the colours that I knew my eyes to be. I caught my reflection in someone’s drink. My hair was flooding around my shoulders, and my eyes were lined with mascara. I still had my pistols, the glove and the armband that was my sword.

I looked over to where Ares was.

But he was gone.

I let out a yell of frustration, “Urgh! Come back Ares! I wanna punch you in the face! Come back you piece of-” I kept yelling.

I stalked out grumbling to myself. On the way out I gave a good kick to the Ares table. They all looked like they were about to punch me but I just hissed, “what are you gonna do jackasses? Beat me up? I’d like to see you try.”

I tripped over the heels on the boots the Aphrodite ‘blessing’ gave me on the way to my stuff. I let out a curse and kicked them off before running to my mattress. I yanked the dress off my head, and pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Feeling more comfortable, I threw on a jacket before stalking outside without shoes on. I headed straight for the forest, not even thinking about the noises monsters were making in there. I walked in the direction I wanted.

Why me? I thought.

I’ll tell you why.

Because I am the single most unlucky person on the planet.

I kicked at a fallen log as I walked passed it.

I thought about my dad. Ares said he was gone, but not dead. He was very careful to not say he was dead. So if he wasn’t dead, then where was he? Why did he not raise me instead of going off and disappearing? Why was I facing this part of my life –this uncontrollable part of my life- without him?

Why’d he leave me?

I began to run.

I ran until I couldn’t feel my lungs.

I didn’t stop until I felt my bare feet found cold water.

I sat on the river bank with my head in my hands and my feet in the water.

I heard a girlish voice, “what are you doing in my river?”

I turned to the source of the voice and met the blue-green eyes of a pretty little girl that looked nearly eleven. She –like me- didn’t have shoes on but she did have a blue dress on over patterned leggings.

I looked away, “I don’t know,” I replied.

She stepped into the river. She didn’t care about her clothes getting wet. “Are you okay?”

I sighed, “I just found out I’m three quarters god and my mom and dad didn’t want to be any part of my life.”

She sat down in the water, “that’s rough.”

I laughed humourlessly, “You don’t say?”

“Well, I’m a great listener. I’ve had heaps of you people come here with their problems. Go ahead.” She rested her chin on her hand in a listening manner.

I lifted my head up, “who’re you?”

She offered me her hand, “I’m Zianna, I’m the naiad of this river.”

I shook it while looking at her weirdly, “I’m Cassie, you’re a naiad?”

She retracted her hand and raised her eyebrows, “got a problem with that?”

“No, why would I?” I liked this person more and more by the second.

“So, Cassie”, she said, “I’ll be here if you want to talk. And I’ll be happy to empty some brine on anyone you want. Just say the word.” She winked, grinned then stood up before melting back into the water.

“Thanks,” I said.

Too little, too late.