{6} Finally! A real explanation!

Alright guys, pic on the side is of Leo.

As a reward for any comments everyone gets a free puppy!!!! YYAAAYY!!

READ ON!

*****

Piper explained about camp.

She explained about how the Greek gods and goddesses of ancient times were still alive and kicking. She told me where they were staying (the Empire State building) she explained about how the evil monsters pop up and it was the job of demigods (half god half mortal) to send them back to Hades.

 Piper explained about everything.

How the gods sometimes came down to the surface world and fell in love with mortals. How they had kids with the mortal and then left. She explained that the offspring of these pairs were demigods.

She explained about the enemies we made, she explained about the oracle and all the great prophecies and the wars. She explained about her part in the wars and such.

As she was talking, thunder grumbled overhead.

When she finished I felt relief. Finally, I thought, a straight answer to all my questions.

We sat by the canoe lake.

“I just . . . I can’t believe that our mom is Aphrodite. I mean . . . do I look shallow? You don’t.”

Piper just smiled, “You don’t look shallow. But being Aphrodite is more than breaking hearts and looking good, though we manage to do both accidentally. It’s about finding love for others. It’s about spreading it; and making everyone feel as if they’re loved.” She so believed in what she was talking about.

That I started to believe in it as well.

“So the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses are real . . . I somehow believe that.”

Piper laughed, “I believed it as well. We all eventually do.” She then stood and offered me her hand, “I reckon that it’s time you met the rest of the family.”

We walked to the Aphrodite cabin, which in my opinion was extremely neat and tidy. We walked in, and I took a deep breath.

The people in there weren’t like me and Piper.

They looked self-obsessed and shallow. There were mirrors all around the bunk beds and I could see shelf upon shelf of make-up in the bathroom.

I shivered at the pink walls covered in posters of famous people.

I looked at Piper and she addressed the room.

“Okay everyone, this is Cassie. We know she is one of us, but she hasn’t been claimed yet. So be ready for it. Make her feel welcome Drew.” That last part she said to a tall girl lurking in a corner.

I saw her wave her hand, “Pfft, whatever.” I heard her say before she stalked out.

Now that I understood, I could appreciate her dislike. What I couldn’t understand was why people here were being nice to me. I was a stranger, and people weren’t treating me like it.

Piper smiled at the rest of the room, “okay Cassie, your bed’s over there.” She pointed to a small mattress stuffed into a corner. “Sorry, about that, but we’re kind of getting full in here. I’ll get Leo to take you to the camp store. I’m sure he can find you a sleeping bag and some clothes. And don’t worry about anything; I’m sure you’ll be claimed tonight.”

We left and walked for five seconds before a guy ran up to us.

He was tall, and he was covered head to toe in soot and ash, he had multiple scrapes up his arms. He wore jeans and work-boots with multiple rips and had a tool belt around his waist. He had an impish grin and a really cute face.

He looked about my age.

I instantly liked him.

He looked like a guy who could crack a joke anywhere. I always liked those kinds of guys.

I smiled at him, Piper grinned knowingly.

“Cassie, this is Leo Valdez. Leo meet Cassie Nix. She’s a new camper in my cabin.”

He laughed, “oh another Love-girl huh? Piper, you two could be twins.”

I felt my shoulders slump; this was going to be a long day. “Leo, take Cassie to the camp gift-shop. She left all her clothes at the orphanage.” Piper squeezed my hand before walking back towards the Aphrodite cabin.

I faced Leo, feeling kind of awkward.

“Did she say you live at an orphanage?” he inquired,

I swallowed, “uh, yeah, I was left on their doorstep. I don’t know who my dad is.”

He nodded, “well if it makes you feel better, my mom’s in the underworld.”

I looked at him, “how could that make me feel better?” I asked when we walked into the shop.

He laughed, “I see your point.” He tried to dust himself off, “I should really clean up. I can’t touch anything in here.”

“Well Hephaestus isn’t really known for his cleanliness.” I smiled at his shocked look. “You don’t exactly look like an Apollo camper. I figured my best guess would be the god of the forge. I always loved workshops, though I never actually made anything in one.”

He made a big dramatic gesture and bowed deeply to me, “Ahh! A girl after my own heart!”

I felt my own flat-line for a second there.

I left the gift shop with new t-shirts, jeans, shorts, shoes, and a big bulky jacket. They gave me a little small purse with a few squares of Ambrosia and a canteen of Nectar (whatever they were). The purse also had normal money and some golden Drachma’s. I also left with a pillow and a sleeping bag.

I had my backpack with me from school for some inane reason.

I had no idea how Percy, Annabeth, Tyson or Tyrone knew which one was mine. But I appreciated it all the same.