XIV

[ ;) ]

Bucky and Adalyn made their way back to Brooklyn, New York and Bucky said, "Wait for me, doll. This is something I should do alone."

Adalyn cupped Bucky's face and said, "You and I were both there. We do this together."

Bucky glanced down and nodded. "Thank you, Adalyn."

Adalyn didn't respond, but simply took his hand.

They walked up to Yori's front door and Adalyn asked in a soft tone, "You ready?"

Bucky shook his head before replying, "No, but Sam was right. This is something I need to do. Something we both need to do."

He knocked on the door.

Yori opened the door and asked, "Hey, what are you two doing here? It's late, come in before someone call the cops." Bucky and Adalyn entered and Yori closed the door behind them. "What are you two doing here? It's not Wednesday."

Bucky replied, "I, we, uh, we have to tell you something. About your son." He sat, pulled off his glove to reveal his Vibranium hand, and Adalyn stood behind him, hands on his shoulders. Yori sat as well. "He was murdered."

"What?"

"By the Winter Soldier and the Dark Phantom watched." His voice shook as he whispered, "And that was me and Ada."

"Why?"

Bucky inhaled before replying softly, "She and I didn't have a choice."

He left and Adalyn glanced at Yori before saying, "I'm sorry. Like he said, we didn't have a choice. Please understand that we're trying to redeem ourselves."

She left the apartment and walked up to Bucky and said quietly, "I'm so proud of you."

Bucky met her eyes and his expression turned to one of overwhelming guilt. He fell into his arms and Adalyn held him tightly as she listened to his quiet sobs. She pulled him closer, tears stinging her eyes.

After a moment, Bucky said, "Thank you, Ada. I thought I'd have to do this alone."

Adalyn stepped back, smiling up at him. "You're never alone. Not anymore."

Bucky smiled softly and said, "I love you, Adalyn."

"I love you too, Bucky."

The next day, after dropping off a gift bag and card for Dr. Raynor, Bucky and Adalyn, who had an arm linked around Bucky's left arm, walked the streets of Brooklyn.

They passed Izzy's and Bucky and Adalyn looked in the window to see Yori sitting at the bar. Adalyn caught Leah's eye and smiled.

Adalyn glanced at Bucky and asked, "You want to go in?"

Bucky shook his head as he stared at Yori and took Adalyn's hand, squeezing it gently.

He stepped away from the window, pulling Adalyn with him, still staring.

"Buck," Adalyn called softly. "Are you all right?"

He used his free hand to stroke her hair and replied, "I will be, doll."

"Can we go to the cemetery?"

"Why?"

"Um, because I need to see him."

"Ada-"

"Don't Ada me! Please. Can we go see my father?"

"Albany is almost three hours away."