21. Immortals

They say we what we are, but we don't have to be

I'm bad behaviour but I do it in the best way

-

Battle Box. The PvP game that the 8th Championship's Yellow Yaks got annihilated by.

False followed the rest of the Blue Bats to the Battle Box arena— or at least, one of the arenas. There would be five identical copies for the arena so pairs of teams could battle it out at the same time. The participants observed the arena and started forming strategies.

There was a new Battle Box arena for each Championship, and this time, it was inspired by a train station. Two stationary trains were placed opposite of each other, and there were small ponds and holes in the ground to act as traps. In the center was a box filled with nine cubes of white wool. It was quite easy to spot the white wool considering the ground was covered with grey gravel. False kept the information carefully in her head.

Last time, her team was destroyed in Battle Box. The Pink Parrots in particular were consumed by some sort of weird Stan Twitt induced bloodlust, and her team was badly hurt. But this time, she and Ren had trained and practiced. Not to mention they had two good PvPers on their side. False took a deep breath. She should stop worrying and get herself ready.

Fruit was rummaging through the gear every team was provided. "Okay, we have leather boots, swords, guns and twelve bullets each. That's a lot."

H turned over the BB bullets in his palm. "Yeah, that's a lot. But onto the strategy now! Okay, so Ren?"

Ren turned, eager to please. "Yes?"

H was once again performing his leader duties and assigning roles to his teammates. "I'm gonna call you the wool guy. You do not run in for the middle area unless we call, unless you see them bum rushing. If you see them bum rushing to the middle, don't focus on removing the white wool, but their wool. So you give us time to come in there and kill them."

Battle Box could be won via two methods— either by eliminating everyone on the opposing team or placing cubes of your colour in the middle. In very early Championships, the cubes were made of plastic, but after participants started whacking each other with the hard plastic cubes (which they weren't supposed to do) and people got injured, Noxcrew changed them to be made out of wool, which was softer and easier to grab. Being hit by a cube would hurt about as much as being slapped with a Jellie plushie, unless the Jellie plushie was launched fifty meters into the air by a weirdly complex catapult that your genius classmate made (Etho, stop.) Anyways, that was why teams would have a designated "wool person" to remove the nine blocks of white wool from the box and replace them with your team's coloured wool. Each participant had a satchel of wool blocks, so if several people tried to "wool" at the same time, it could be quite confusing. ("Wool" was simultaneously a noun and a verb, and something more. It would evolve to become a meme due to a certain lime team in the future, but that was a story for another time.)

"Oh, so I'm taking the wool away?" Ren asked just to be sure.

"Yeah, if they place it," False confirmed.

"We're gonna take this methodically and try to kill everyone first before we place the wool. But if they rush to the middle, we need you to go there and stall."

Ren rubbed his palms together. "Gotcha."

False started stretching her wrists. Considering each player had twelve bullets, they would probably use guns a lot. False preferred guns to swords, so this might work in her favour.

"Go cause chaos, basically?"

Causing chaos was extremely easy for a Hermitcraft member, even without weirdly complex catapults or cow launchers that had a 95% chance of squeezing you to death (Etho, Zedaph, stop.)