17. A Little Room to Grow

A/N: This is about the (now lost) first practice stream. You'll notice I usually quote the hermits, but for this chapter, I don't have much to quote from lol. Super big shoutout to Emina on Discord for helping me with the details of the practice stream! This chapter (and the following) won't be possible without you :3

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about Minecraft PvP or irl swordfighting, so don't take anything seriously.

-

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line

Engines pumping and thumping in time

The green light flashes, the flags go up

Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup

-

"Hi False!"

"Hi everyone!"

False hurried towards H and Fruit who were standing by the gates of the main campus. H and Fruit were studying a piece of paper in Fruit's hands— it was the training schedule Fruit had carefully planned for them.

They were meeting up on a Friday afternoon so they could spend the whole weekend practicing at school. Apparently the school allowed its students to stay overnight to practice and they could book the dorms at school. (The hermits didn't know they could do that.) They were in for a rigorous round of training, one the hermits hadn't experienced before.

H glanced at False. "Where's Ren?" he asked, expecting the hermits to stick together.

False checked the time. "He said he has something to do and told me to go first. He's not late— yet."

Sure enough, a few minutes later, a familiar voice instantly jolted everyone awake.

"YO TEAM!" Ren cried out, frantically waving at his teammates as he ran towards them. He started to ramble, words flowing out without taking a breath in between. "What's cracking baby? What's cracking—"

"SUP REN!" H hollered. Out of the three, H was the one who could best match Ren's energy. Smiles involuntarily snuck on the Bats' faces.

"HELLO EVERYBODY! Yo HBomb!" Ren grinned and flung an arm around H. "Fruityloops what's cracking? Falsie what's cracking?" He went to greet everybody with playful nudges and shoves.

"FRUITYLOOPS!" H screamed in delight, amused by Ren's nickname.

"Someone's awake!" False laughed, a little taken aback by Ren's eagerness. "Hi!"

Ren finally calmed down. "Sorry dudes," Ren said sheepishly, but everyone's mood was greatly elevated by Ren's presence.

"Someone's ready to goooo!" Fruit whooped.

"I'm quite excited! I'm ready to kick some butt! But sorry, I may have come in hot there," Ren said. His voice was softer and his words slower compared to his outburst a few seconds ago. "I'm sorry dudes."

"Don't worry! Keep on coming!" H yelled, completely unbothered.

Fruit chuckled. "I thought you were gonna freestyle on us!"

"I've overexcited myself there, sorry again," Ren mumbled, but H was distracted by Fruit's comment.

"Okay, so I need to hear the story," H began all business-like. "People are telling me to watch Ren and False rap?"