Chapter 9

2 months later

Eddie woke up to a pair of strong arms snaked around his waist and hot breath on his neck. He slowly turned to look at his boyfriend and smiled lovingly. He was returning to work today and could not be more excited.

Eddie glanced at the clock, it was 8:30 and they were due at work at 10 for a fifteen-hour shift. Eddie knew they needed to get moving so they could drop Chris off at Carla's before work. He was spending the night since their shift would go so late.

Eddie decided to slowly wake up Buck knowing that he is not an easy riser. He began peppering Buck's perfect face with sweet kisses starting at his birthmark. Buck began to shuffle under Eddie's touch and groaned loudly. Eddie chuckled at this and quietly said, "We have to get up mi amor. We have work and need to drop off our son."

At this Buck smiled big, he honestly doesn't think he will ever get used to Eddie saying 'our son'. Buck responded, "Ugh fine, but I need coffee." Eddie laughed and said, "that can be arranged, now get your fine ass up and get dressed." They both laughed, shared a few more kisses, and proceeded to get ready.

Once in the kitchen, Eddie started the coffee pot as Buck went to wake up Christopher. Eddie heard "Superman you gotta get up. You get to go see Carla today and spend the night!" There was some laughter then and Eddie knew Buck was likely tickling Chris.

Five minutes later a still groggy Buck and cheerful Christopher entered the kitchen. Eddie simply offered up a mug of coffee and Buck happily took it giving Eddie a quick peck on the lips as thanks.

After a quick breakfast they gathered their bags and got into Eddie's truck. They headed to Carla's and dropped off Chris after a goodbye and quick hug, Chris went up to Carla's door and waved his dads away.

Ten minutes later Buck and Eddie pulled up to the station. Eddie parked the car and let out a large sigh. Buck looked over and placed a hand on Eddie's thigh. "Eds.." He began "It's going to be great, you're ready and I'll be here with you the whole shift. Plus, we don't have to hide anymore at work."

Eddie smiled big at this and nodded his head. He was ready and he has Buck by his side. He responded, "You're right. I love you Evan, more than you know." "I love you too Edmundo." Buck smirked knowing how Eddie responds when he uses his whole name. Eddie just rolled his eyes and said "Let's go."

The two exited the truck and interlaced their fingers and walked into the station. Eddie was watching Buck because he had this huge grin and then he followed his line of sight.

Hanging on the loft railing was a banner that read Eddie 2 Death 0. Eddie matched Buck's smile and everyone began cheering welcoming him back.

They walked up the stairs and Eddie hugged his team, his family. There was a huge spread that no doubt Bobby prepared and they all began to eat. Everyone was laughing and having a great time. Eddie was so happy to be back with his team.

After they finished eating they all began to clean up. The sirens hadn't gone off yet so they were enjoying the quiet although no one mentioned it.

Once the kitchen was cleaned up Buck cleared his throat and clasped his hands together.

Eddie, who was sitting on the couch looking at his phone, looked up and saw Hen smiling big and Chim was holding his phone out like he was recording Buck. Bobby had a knowing look on his face.

Eddie was about to ask what was happening when Buck began walking towards him.

Buck kneeled down on one knee in front of Eddie and held out a small black box. Eddie's breath hitched in his throat as his eyes met Buck's.

Buck began, "Eddie it has been the longest road to get here, but the road led me to you; to us finally finding each other. I love you and Chris and our family and I want us forever. Eddie, will you marry me?"

Eddie blinked several times and then began laughing. Before anyone could wonder what was wrong, Eddie ran downstairs. Buck had a bewildered look on his face but as quick as Eddie left, he was bounding back up the stairs.

He was a little out of breath, but he pulled a grey box out of his pocket. "This was in my locker" he states plainly.

Buck still looked confused and Eddie realized he did not answer. "Oh, shit, sorry babe, yes, of course!" he said. "I would love to marry you. I just wanted to get the ring I got you." He finished.

Buck smiled a huge smile and grabbed the ring from his box. Eddie did the same and the two placed them on each other's fingers. They embraced one another and shared a few sweet kisses not wanting to go overboard because they are at work. Everyone in the loft began to loudly cheer and hugs and congratulations were shared.

Chim caught it all on his phone and was already sending Maddie and Carla the video. Before they could celebrate much more the sirens sounded and they all went off to do their jobs.