Chapter 7

3 days later

The last few days passed without incident. Buck didn't try anything crazy at work and everyone was able to catch their breath and process.

Today, Eddie was coming home. He would be off for at least two months, but he was finally leaving the hospital and Buck was vibrating with enthusiasm. He was sitting in the loft at the station and his leg was bouncing while he talked a mile a minute.

Hen was the first to speak up, "Buck are you okay, you seem a bit off?" She asked.

"What? Oh yea. I am just excited that Eddie is coming home. It's been really hard without him." Buck responded. Hen felt like there was more to it but she let it go because the sirens sounded.

What Buck wasn't saying is that he was nervous. Eddie and him hadn't really talked since their argument at the hospital. Sure, they were texting constantly, but they both seemed to be avoiding the topic. Buck was worried that Eddie was really mad at him for his recklessness.

When their shift ended Buck went to change and get ready to pick up Eddie. However, his phone sounded and he looked down to see a text from him. It read "Bobby is bringing me home, I'll see you there." Buck was confused and a little hurt by this. He wondered if Eddie was truly mad at him. Could this break them? Buck responded with "okay" and went to Eddie's house.

When he arrived, Chris was home from school and Carla was there. She had made them dinner to welcome Eddie back. As Buck walked in Chris yelled "Welcome Home!" but then his face fell when he saw that Buck was alone.

Chris questioned, "Where is dad, Bucky?"

"He is on his way, Bobby is bringing him." Buck responded. Chris just shrugged and went to watch TV but Carla was eying Buck.

Buck looked at her and asked, "What?"

She responded, "oh nothing I'm just surprised that you did not pick him up."

Buck shrugged as if to say it's no big deal and said, "He told me Bobby was getting him, thats all."

Carla did not believe him for a second but simply nodded at him. She told him what she made and said she would be back in the morning to bring Chris to school so he and Eddie could sleep in. Buck thanked her and she left.

20 minutes later

Bobby and Eddie walked in the door and Chris attacked his dad with hugs and kisses. Buck smiled big as he watched his Diaz boy's reunion. Eddie then walked up to Buck and they shared a short hug. Buck felt off about it but knew he couldn't bring it up right now.

Eddie invited Bobby to stay for dinner and the four sat down to eat. They talked about various things and it was a really nice time. Eddie felt more relaxed than he had in days and he was glad to be home. He knew though that him and Buck were going to have to talk at some point.

After Bobby left, Eddie put Christopher to bed and came out to see Buck sitting on the couch. He was messing around on his phone and startled when Eddie sat down next to him. Eddie cleared his throat and Buck looked at him for the first time that night.

They maintained eye contact for a full minute before Buck spoke. "Look Eddie I know you're mad and I'm sorry okay I just...I don't mean to be reckless. I just want to save people. I can't stand it when we lose people at work." He took a steadying breath, but before he could continue, Eddie spoke.

"Buck, I know, I get it and I am not mad. I am concerned. In the hospital you said that it should have been you that got shot." Eddie stated.

Buck was confused by this line of thought from Eddie, but listened intently.

Eddie continued, "I just, how can you say that? How can you say you should have been shot? Evan you are not expendable. You matter. You matter to me and to Chris and the 118. I can't...I can't breathe without you." Eddie whispered that last part.

He looked at Buck gauging his reaction and saw Buck's eyes were red. Before Buck could respond Eddie lunged forward and enveloped him in a massive hug. They held each other for a few minutes and then collectively pulled apart.

Buck spoke first, "Eddie I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. I just want to protect everyone I love and I couldn't stand seeing you hurt. Eddie when you were shot it broke me. I broke down in front of Chris. I wasn't strong enough."

Eddie quickly responded, "Buck you are one of the strongest people I know. You care so much, but you need to understand that people care about you too. Also, it's okay to cry in front of Chris. He needs to know that it's good to show emotion. I cried in front of him after Shannon. Buck you're a great father to our son."

Buck sucked in a sharp breath at hearing Eddie say this. "Eddie that's, thank you." Is all he could say.

"Of course, Buck. I think we need to talk to Chris tomorrow about us as well." Eddie responded. Buck nodded in agreement.

The rest of the night was spent cuddling on the couch and sharing sweet kisses. They were happy to be together after so many days apart and reveled in being able to touch one another.