27

Giving her away

Although it had already been a week and half since the entire ordeal, Jangmi saw it as one big blur she was trying to push out of her mind

Although it had already been a week and half since the entire ordeal, Jangmi saw it as one big blur she was trying to push out of her mind. She didn't want the sadness to linger for too long and tried to make things slowly go back to normal. When she was with Heeseung, she tried to act like how she normally would; and so far, it seemed to be working—for her at least.

The older boy found it harder to move on. The fact that the younger girl's smile was growing wider everyday hurt him more than it should, like adding salt to an open wound. He knew that the girl was doing her best to put things back to the way it was before everything happened, but it wasn't easy for him. 

He thought that if he convinced her that he was okay, he would end up convincing himself in the process. It was only good that he was a natural at wearing a smile—even if it was fake.

It was currently lunch time as everyone, except Heeseung, rushed to the cafeteria. For some reason, he couldn't face Jangmi. The numbness in his body refusing to let him move as he leaned his back on the metal lockers.

"Hyung? Aren't you supposed to be in the cafeteria by now?" A familiar voice echoed in the hallway. The older boy looked up from the floor to see Jungwon running towards him with a wide smile on his face, only for it to fall when he reached him.

Out of all the boys in the group, he was always quick to tell someone's true emotions no matter how hard they try to hide it. The older boy in front of him was obviously upset; he could easily tell by the way his eyes were glassy, as if he was on the verge of tears.

"It's Jangmi noona, isn't it?"

The younger boy quickly caught the look in Heeseung's eyes at the mention of her name. "Hyung, I heard about the entire thing. To be honest—"

"It hurts," he interrupted the boy, sighing as he ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "I messed up, and then I lost her for good."

"You didn't lose her for good, hyung. She's still your friend," Jungwon told him as calmly as he could. Heeseung pursed his lips, feeling the sting from the word his the younger just used. "Do you know why I wanted to be with her?" His voice came out softer than usual, making the boy confused.

"Because she was there for me when no one else was. Jangmi understood me the most, and it made me happy to see her right beside me. It's like all my worries disappeared whenever I look at her—and I wanted to do the same to her. I wanted to make her happy."

Jungwon never understood why Heeseung liked he girl, but now it seemed more like he loved her. He didn't know what to say or how to console him, but he did place a hand on his hyung's shoulder reassuringly. "I don't know what to say, but I am sorry that this had to happen to you." The older boy just gave him a sad smile. "Thank you," he said softly once again. There was a comforting silence that surrounded them for a few seconds before Heeseung chose to speak up again.