29

ALEX LOOKED LIVID DESPITE the smile on his face. Reyan was staring at him with an expression which was hard to read, but Alex wasn't looking at him at all. No, he was staring right at Elisabeth, her lips parted in surprise. In the glow of the moon she looked kissed by starlight, her azure eyes reflecting Alex. She was so put together in comparison to him, even now his blouse open and his mask tied to his wrist, crimson smeared across his cheeks like flames and fire burning in his laugh, like the sound alone could scorch a heart.

"You are clearly inebriated," Reyan stated," this is a formal event, what are you, a hooligan?"

"You know what," Alex said, spreading his arms," I actually am. Nothing is a bad decision if I'm having fun."

"That is a terrible reasoning," Reyan replied.

"I am a terrible man," Alex smiled.

Levi was nodding along, being supportive in his own way. If it was Will here he would have cheered, but then again with Will here the situation would probably deescalate within minutes. He was the only one of them four who really had that capability. Ella didn't mind, it was always fun watching a fight.

"How did he even manage to get drunk?" she said, leaning in to whisper to Levi," we were gone for twenty minutes tops."

"Don't underestimate Alex," Levi said solemnly," if we had a frat at St Joseph he honestly would be the head."

"Not you?" Ella teased, even though she knew the answer," you know, with your charismatic leadership and all."

"Hell no," Levi said," any gathering of people sounds terrible. I don't care for charisma, just for my peace of mind."

"You're head of a gang."

"Don't remind me, I try to forget every day."

Right at that moment Alex stopped in front of Reyan, tilting his head to the right as he held his gaze. Reyan however didn't seem to be in for any games, grabbing Alex' shirt with a neutral expression on his face. It was Elisabeth's voice who stopped Alex from punching Reyan right in the face, her voice clear despite the fact that she didn't rise it in volume at all.

"Calm down," she said," I care for you both, I don't want to see you fight."

Reyan looked at her in silence, taking a step back a moment later, but Alex started choking, seeming to have forgotten to breathe for a moment.

"Fuck," he coughed as he doubled over," is this how I'm going to die? I always thought it was going to be by Levi's hand."

"He does seem like he would kill you without remorse," Reyan agreed.

Levi frowned at them both, before looking at Ella in a silent complaint. She pecked him on the cheek, the gesture immediately easing his dissatisfaction.

"I'm sorry," Alex said, his back straight again and a hand on his chest, as if to recover still from the lack of air," it just felt weird to know you care about me."

"Why?" Elisabeth blinked," I hang out with you every chance I get, of course I do."

Ella had half-expected Alex to joke about his amazing presence, but instead he seemed lost for words for the first time in his life.

"Elisabeth," Reyan said, not seeming to care about Alex at all," I came to ask you to be my girlfriend, but the setting seems to be ruined. I'll retry next week when it's nice weather again."

"Rei," Elisabeth said, gaze softening," I -"

"Don't reply just yet," he said, holding up his hand," not until I've asked it for real."