21

"ARE YOU -" AVA BEGAN, unable to finish her sentence as she placed a hand in front of her lips," oh my."

"Am I hearing things?" Alex frowned," did you just say you're related to Clarkson, like our vice-principal Clarkson?"

"My father, yes," Reyan nodded," Mia is my cousin."

"Then," Alex continued slowly, pointing at the car," in there is..."

Clarkson came out after a moment of silence, his usual tracksuit replaced with simple clothing as well. It looked so weird to not see him in his iconic fluorescent colors Ella couldn't help but stare.

"Students," he nodded," I didn't expect to see you all here, but hello."

"Your tracksuit -" Alex stammered.

"You know what," Ava said," you are actually quite fine, sir. The neon yellow kept it hidden from for a long time, but I can see it clearly now."

"Don't ever say something like that about my father again," Reyan said, face devoid of much emotion.

"I think you'll like him, Levi," Ella said to her man," you both give off the same vibe."

"No," Levi said, narrowing his eyes as he stared at Reyan," he looks like he enjoys talking."

"First you're not wearing a tracksuit, now you have children?" Alex continued next to them to their vice-principal, sounding betrayed," I thought we had shared everything with each other, Clarkson!"

"You mean you overshared your excessive fear for crabs once to me," Clarkson said," and I would've said if you had asked."

"I just assumed your life revolved around me and St Joseph," Alex said, seeming disillusioned as he placed a hand on his head," I can't believe you have a wife."

"Ah, so you're the student obsessed with my father," Reyan remarked.

"Define obsessed," Alex said.

"You come in his office practically every day to complain and send postcards to our home."

"I just wanted him to have a happy Christmas!" Alex exclaimed," and those are from Will and Levi as well, by the way, not just me."

"It's true," Will smiled," I helped pick them out."

"That was actually really kind, thank you," Clarkson nodded," I did have a good Christmas."

Vinh tried to sneak away, completely having lost all color in his face, but Reyan grabbed his shoulder before he could, keeping him in place.

"Where do you think you're going?" Reyan said, voice low.

"I swear, Reyan," Vinh said to him with wide eyes," I didn't do anything weird, so whatever Elisabeth has said to you, she is lying."

"So you didn't drag Mia out of the house by force," Reyan said slowly.

"I just did what your aunt told me to do!" Vinh exclaimed, looking pale," I don't know why everyone is getting so angry at me for that, she was the one who asked me to do so."

"My mother did?" Mia blinked.

"What did you say?" Clarkson spoke then, stepping forward.

His usual good-natured grumpiness was gone, replaced by something far colder. For a moment Ella could imagine him as a delinquent at St Joseph himself, his whole attitude fitting in so well. Genuinely, if he had been a student along with them, she might even have been friends with him. Right now, she was glad he was here though. Despite the jokes she made, he was the only teacher she always felt she could rely on.