24

The next morning
Clarice was with Lorenzo in the lobby, fastening the buttons on his jacket.
Giuliano came down the stairs.
"Where have you been, insulting our guests," Lorenzo told them.
"Me breaking bread with the Pazzis and conversing with Vespucci, that's insulting our guests," Giuliano replied.
"I told them not to come, with his mood he would not have contributed much to diplomacy" his mother interjected.
"You are obsessed with peace but you don't see that the enemy is preparing for war...you know that the pope has an army in Imola" replied Giuliano.
"He bought the city, he wants to defend it."
"Rumor has it that he is marching on Florence".
"Where did you hear that?"
"They say it in the streets"
Beatrice approached Clarice and then out popped Salviati with the Cardinal.
"Ah Giuliano...we missed you at dinner."
"Well now I'm here" the Medici replied.
Beatrice took Giuliano's hand and headed with everyone toward the church.

"So...have you thought about what to call him when he is born?"
Beatrice asked her husband.
"I don't know, what do you want to call him?"
"If it's a girl Lucrezia, like your mother, if it's a boy..."
"Cosimo...after my grandfather and your brother"
"Alright, that's beautiful"
He remained silent for a while.
"Beatrice I...I need to tell you something"
"Sure"
"I made love to another woman, I lost my mind and I was drunk."
"Don't worry."
"The woman is Fioretta, I was in love with her, when Simonetta died I found peace with her"
"Giuliano...if you are happy so am I, before being your wife I am your best friend, your confidante"
"But now I want to be with you"
The girl smiled and he held her close.
"Simonetta gave me this before"
Giuliano showed Beatrice a flower, a white lily.
"She loves flowers, it's beautiful put it here"
Beatrice placed the flower in a breast pocket that Giuliano had on his chest.
Before leaving, Giuliano hugged his children tightly.
He kissed them and reassured them that he would be back soon.
The family got into the carriage.
Giuliano was with Lucrezia and Beatrice.
"Where have you been?" Lucrezia asked.
"I was trying to warm myself with an old flame."
Lucrezia looked at Beatrice.
"Did it work?" Her mother asked her thoughtful son who was looking at Florence from the small window of the carriage.
"...No...I have to take responsibility, it started with Simonetta...because if heaven exists she is there, she is the only hope I have...where I went wrong I want to fix it, you won't have to worry about me anymore" Lucrezua took the boy's hand and kissed it.
"Thank God."

Giuliano got out and set Beatrice down, Lucrezia went on ahead.
"Giuliano...I... am proud of you, Simonetta changed you and I would thank her endlessly if she were here, maybe I never told you, but you are the best thing that ever happened to me, I love you, the way you are, your flaws, your irresponsibility, I love you the way you are, we all love you the way you are, Simonetta loved you the way you were, your mother loves you the way you are, Lorenzo, Bianca, Clarice, Carlo, Sandro, your children, and me, I love you this way and I will forever, you are my life, you gave me a life and this I will never forget, I love you my love" Giuliano kissed her, and then held her close as he never did, Beatrice felt the warmth of their love, which would soon be over, forever.

"Beatrice come" Lucrezia called the girl and with arice they entered the church.

Giuliano approached Lorenzo.
"If there is an army ready to attack us how will you defend us, with words? With a brush and palette or with a sword?"
"I am still convinced that a peaceful solution must be sought...let's go."
The two brothers walked up the steps and Pazzi stood in front of them.
"I know well that our families have had their disagreements but I hope that we could put them aside from now on, for our own good" Francesco opened his arms and they were reminded of the day of the death of his grandmother, Contessina.
But Lorenzo fell into the trap and hugged Francesco.
"I always wanted us to be friends Francesco".
"We still will be...And you Giuliano, if I hurt you, I'm sorry, please forgive me" Francesco opened his arms again, Giuliano looked at his brother who indicated them to hug him and Giuliano did, he fell into the death trap.
"Sorry too" the boy said before entering the church.

It was going to happen, everything was going to end, a life was going to end.