19

Medici Palace, August 1470
"You can't give everything into the hands of Francesco, haven't you thought about your brother?" Lucrezia asked,worried about her children.
"No and it's not the right thing for him, it's not what he wants."
"Giuliano wants to be useful, you chose Francesco as godfather of your son, at least offer Imola to your brother".
Lorenzo nodded.

When he left the room, Giuliano was walking in.
"Giuliano...My God...too long I haven't seen you...I forgot what you looked like"
"I was with Beatrice...I'm going to Sandro I'm posing for him" he said continuing but Lorenzo stopped him.
"We need to talk..."
"...and about what? You have a new family...a new life...a new brother even."
"Know that it wasn't my intention to exclude you really!"
"The only one I have left of this family is Beatrice."
"I need you...I need you to govern Imola for me" Giuliano looked at his brother smiling wryly.
"Did our mother suggest this to you?"
"You see...Giuliano you are my only brother and I trust you."
"I can't leave Florence...because I'm your brother and you trust me...others bind you by politics or ideals, I have your blood anyway and anyway now I must go...Sandro is waiting for me"
"Vespucci's wife poses with you? Is she the real reason you are not leaving Florence?"
"Offer Imola to your new brother, he is the one you chose."
He said leaving Lorenzo alone, he was disappointed, he loved his brother and he had chosen Francesco.

At that same moment Beatrice came down and saw Lorenzo.
"Lorenzo"
"Beatrice...how are you?"
"Good...you?"
"Very well, thank you. I saw Julian."
"He went to Sandro"
"How is Federico"
"He is beautiful...he is fine...or at least he seems to be fine...now excuse me I was going to the parish"
"Sure ... see you tonight"

Imola was being celebrated that night, but Francesco, who would rule it, was not there.
Lorenzo approached Giuliano who was with Cosimo, Roberto and Guido.
"Giuliano have you seen Francesco"
"You missed the guest of honor" he said laughing and then moved on.
"Novella...I'm looking for your husband".
"He should be here soon"
Simonetta and Marco entered the room, the girl sat down in a chair at the table.
Beatrice looked at her and walked over, in front of them was Giuliano.
"Simonetta...how long has it been...how are you?"
"I should ask you...his name is Federico, right?"
"Yes...I'd be happy to have you at the christening."
"Marco and I will come for sure"
"Excuse me, my father is here"
"Of course."
Beatrice went towards her father and was surprised to see who was with him.
A boy of the same age of Beatrice was next to her father with a glass of wine in his hand.
He had dark hair and eyes so clear, when she saw him her eyes lit up.
"Federico..."
"You recognized me then?"
"How could I forget about you"
"I was just here on business and your father told me he wanted me to introduce myself to the Medici family."
"I'll leave you two alone" Giulio exclaimed as he reached his wife.
"You called your son Federico"
"Yes...like my grandfather, not like you."
"You look the same as you did 6 years ago, beautiful as the sun and always with a smile on your face".
"Thank you..."

Francesco entered the room and saw Lorenzo laughing and talking with Novella. As soon as he walked through the door everyone applauded, everyone except Giuliano and Beatrice.
They looked at each other.
Giuliano reached the girl.
"Oh...um...Giuliano this is Federico, a distant friend of mine from Venice"
"How do you do..."
"Sir... I'll leave you two alone."
"No, please... sit next to us."

Giuliano moved his chair to seat Beatrice, he stood next to her and Federico sat next to Beatrice.
"Master it has been a year since I commissioned the painting from you, when will you release my wife?" Marco asked.
Giuliano interjected.
"But the price doesn't change with time, does it Sandro?"
"Sure."
"So the longer it takes the better the deal, after all this man is a genius."
Simonetta stood up.
"Forgive me, I need some air."
Vespucci left the room.
"Even today I can hardly believe he married me".
Giuliano laughed, "us too" he whispered.
He got up and left, leaving Beatrice alone with the men.
"May I introduce you to Federico Malatesta"
"Simonetta told me about you, your mother is Venetian, that's how you met."
"Yes, me, Beatrice, Simonetta and Jacopo were very close friends, we did all sorts of things."

Simonetta meanwhile was waiting for Giuliano hiding in the courtyard.
As soon as he arrived in the hiding place they kissed.
"It's imprudent...you are imprudent and drunk".
"You're the one who made me this way...that's why I couldn't go to Imola".
"Lorenzo chose you before Francesco...and you refused? Why?"
"You did it for us..."
Simonetta looked at him and returned to the room.
"Let's toast...to the new representative of Florence in Imola, to my dear friend Francesco Pazzi."
Everyone stood up and raised their glasses.
"Aren't you getting up?" Federico asked the girl
"No...there had to be Giuliano in his place" she replied.

The next day Giuliano was in Sandro's store waiting for Simonetta to pose.
"She won't come, her husband has forbidden it because he thinks she is having an affair" Giuliano looked at his friend and went towards the door but Sandro stopped him.
"Wait...stop, I put our heads in a noose...it is me he suspects...not you, but since he is wrong and since Vespucci loves his wife you will see that Simonetta will be able to convince him"
Giuliano lowered his head and turned around.
"I could lose her"
"Sure sure and if you lose her the world will have two less lovers, if I lose her instead...I will lose" Giuliano looked at Sandro who had his eyes on the painting.
"What, an incomplete painting? This is nothing" said the young Medici dropping Sandro's masterpiece.
"See?" He continued and Sandro put his hands on it.
They began to push and throw each other on the ground and then Giuliano who had won that fight went away.

Medici Palace
The family was gathered at the table, only Giuliano was missing.
"Beatrice do you know where Giuliano is?"
"He said he was going to Sandro's."
"Ah...alright"
"There will be other dinners, are you sure?" Said William making Bianca sit at the table.
"As long as I can, I want to enjoy a simple meal with the people I love."
"Then to my sister and the people she loves."
Francesco walked in just then.
"Ah, Francesco come, join us."
"The documents you requested...the debts of the Pazzi bank, what you needed to destroy it"
"This is not the time to talk about it, I prefer to separate family and business.
"But you had no qualms about asking my wife to spy for you."
"What are you talking about? This is Jacopo's work"
"He only opened my eyes, maybe you should open yours too, brother."
"To see what exactly?"
"That I'm trying to have me as a character in the story you want to write for Florence."
"I have never hidden that from you though."
"And what story would Jacopo write instead?" Lucrezia asked.
"You...You speak of a true Republic, of a government chosen in full honesty with free elections, a government chosen by the people, of leaving the past behind and changing things, but that past is the work of you, of your family, of the Medici, who have ruled Florence for four generations, Jacopo's story, is one in which the Pazzi free the city from the Medici, rather than serving them" Francesco burned the documents.
"That man bends the truth to achieve his own ends, please don't let him divide us."
And at that moment, contractions began in Bianca.
Francis was leaving when everyone was busy calling the midwife and taking Bianca to her room.
"Your grandson is due soon, stay and let's talk."
"So you can convince me I'm wrong, if you want to talk to me I'll be at the Pazzi bank with my uncle, he's been checking the Papal account"