New Beginnings - Part one

Revised 24/02/24

It took both a number of hours of wandering, a number of days of adventuring with Lan Zhan, as well as being in Gusu once more for Wei Wuxian to realise two things.

One: Jin Guangshan joining the Wen's side in the war meant that their main driving force was now practically nonexistent, as the Jins had arguably the largest army, only second to the Nie Sect. This meant that the Cultivation world was, and not for the better, royally screwed unless Wei Wuxian miraculously concocts a plan that would sweep them right off their high 200-Koi-Tower-Stepped pedestals.

And Two: He regretted giving Jiang Cheng that 'letter of leave' as he dubbed it, as he was going to get the living JinDan beaten out of him when they got back to Cloud Recess. For this very reason, he had both stalled their trip and practically been wrestling with Lan Wangji's robes to keep them away from the large entrance to the Sect, to no avail. Their adventure would only last so long, and though it was close, the end of his days at Cloud Recess would not be for another few weeks.

"Second Young Master Lan," saluted the Lan at the entrance, cupping their hands. Lan Wangji showed them the proper etiquette, and as they were about to speak once more, he held up a hand.

"No need to tell my Uncle I have returned," he said cooly, striding forwards. Wei Wuxian rushed after him, a skip in his step, but just before he could wander past the looming gate, a sheathed sword appeared in front of him.

"No token, no entry," said the disciple curtly.

"He is with me," said Lan Wangji, and Wei Wuxian fiercely nodded, feeling somehow wronged as though it was simply unforgivable to act like this to Lan Wangji's... er, companion? Come to think of it, what were they, at this point in time?

"Apologies, Second Young Master Lan, but there are no exceptions," said the disciple. "Not even for you."

They had both been allowed to leave Cloud Recess by just Lan Wangji showing his token, but clearly this was a different disciple to them who took their watch-guard duties very seriously.

Lan Wangji looked thoughtful for a moment, before he slowly started descending the steps again. Wei Wuxian smiled very widely and shot the disciple a very triumphant look, wholly expecting Lan Wangji to go back with him to Caiyi Town.

What he didn't expect was for Lan Wangji to reach into his sleeve and produce the jade token once more. He also didn't expect Lan Wangji to pry open his hand and drop it inside.

"There," he said indifferently in such a Lan Zhan way that Wei Wuxian felt his mouth split even wider. "Now he can come in, can he not?"

The disciple was spluttering and had their mouth open so wide they looked like a Pixiu. Clearly, there was some shady business going on between them, but there was no rule that explicitly said that what Lan Wangji did was wrong!

However... Despite the circumstances, the handing over of his personal token... That implied—! That Second Young Master Lan, to Wei Wuxian—!

Wei Wuxian grinned and held up the token in the disciple's face, fighting the urge to stick out his tongue like he would have done in front of Jiang Cheng. "What? Is this token not acceptable?"

The disciple silently stepped to the side, looking as though his world views had taken a drastic hit and were currently trying to rebuild themselves.

"Lan Zhan, why did you say not to tell your Uncle?" asked Wei Wuxian, though as he was speaking he was concocting all sorts of plans how to exploit their unannounced return — should he burst into Lan Qiren's quarters, pretending he was a scared maiden? Leave some rabbits in the Orchid Room to run around? Sneak into the kitchens and sprinkle the hottest spice he could find into the food?