Rebirth - Part two

Revised 03/05/22

Walking past the many street stalls, Wei Wuxian absentmindedly gazed into the distance, eyes a mirage of conflicting emotions.

Cloud Recess was most certainly a sight to behold; the buildings were large but elegant and were enveloped in a clear mist. A vast expanse of forests and mountains surrounded the perimeter, further enunciating the rich and majestic scenery. The scene was so beautiful that one could mistake it for a painting.

Seeing this familiar yet unfamiliar scene, Wei Wuxian couldn't restrain the tears that were wrought to the surface. The memories of his friends, his family, and most of all, Lan Zhan were created in this place.

When he came back to his senses, Wei Wuxian wiped the not-yet-shed tears, his gaze colliding with that of Jiang Wanyin's. He plastered his usual pout across his dejected visage, further irritating the younger Jiang, "Jiang Cheng, before we reach Cloud Recess, can you go get me some Emperor's smile? I heard it's the best wine in the whole world!!"

Infuriated, the latter barked, "Do you think I'm your maid?"

Wei Wuxian hummed in thought for a moment before mischievously replying, "Oh my, and here I thought that you indeed were.."

"You-" before Jiang Cheng could finish, Wei Wuxian flashed him an ecstatic grin before skipping his way to the nearest wine stall.

"I'll have three--no, five." He placed down a tael of silver onto the wooden stall and grabbed the jars before rushing back towards his companions. Jiang Cheng reached his arm out to take one of the jars but Wei Ying hurriedly snatched them away.

"What are you doing, Wei Wuxian? You might as well give me one."

"One for me, another one for me, another one for me.."

"And two for me!" Wei Wuxian added with a taunting smirk. Jiang Wanyin sent him a disdainful look before turning away with a huff.

Removing the paper from the jars, Wei Wuxian consumed a couple on their way to Cloud Recess before slyly hiding the remaining two inside his qiankun pouch.

***

After a perilous journey, the three Jiangs finally arrived at the gates of Cloud Recess. Resisting the urge to comment 'Mourning clothes' as he saw the gatekeeper's robes and path his way into utter humiliation and mockery, Wei Wuxian reached into his sash to take out the invitation.

Except, much to his dismay, he couldn't find it.

'What? Didn't I take the invitation this time?'

He scrunched his nose, inwardly cursing, 'How could you forget it even after you were reborn, Wei Wuxian?!'

Wei Wuxian laughed the shaky laugh that he did when he was nervous, and turned to Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli with desperation. Before he could even speak, however, the younger quickly interjected:

"It's here." Jiang Cheng said, handing Wei Ying the invitation. As if he noticed the confusion on his brothers face, he continued, "You looked so dazed so I knew you'd end up forgetting it."

Wei Wuxian fondly rolled his eyes before running up the stone steps, far ahead of the two siblings. "Jiang Cheng, you're going so slow!! Hurry up!"

"Calm your horses, Wei Wuxian. You're running into your impending doom, I'll have you know!"

* * *

Lmao I think I already edited this once a while ago so there wasn't much to do *kudos to past me*

Not me deleting half the chapter in embarrassment :))