Familiarity - Part two

Revised 13/05/22

"Wei Wuxian! How dare you sleep in my class?!" Lan Qiren's partiality to Wei Wuxian wasn't much of a surprise to the disciples, but it nonetheless shocked them to hear him yell like so.

"I'm awake, I'm awake." Wei Wuxian said with a yawn, covering his wide mouth with a hand as unshed tears blurred his sight. "Um, grandmaster, what were you saying again? Sorry, bad memory, aha..."

"Wei-Xiong," A whisper murmured from beside him, "He asked you about the GusuLan's founder, Lan An, and the reason he created the Lan clan."

"Thank you, Nie-Xiong," Wei Wuxian whispered back, oblivious to the incredulous stare given to him by Lan Qiren. He doubted that any of the disciples were supposed to know about the founder yet, since it was further into the curriculum, but who's to say he can't score a couple points with the old goat while he still can?

"At a very young age, the GusuLan's founder, Lan An, became a very famous Monk who continuously recited and listened to various sutras," At Lan Qiren's nod of approval, Wei Wuxian fought back a grin as he continued, "When he came of age, he took the family name 'Lan' from 'Qielan' and thus became known as 'Lan An'."

"You are correct, Young Master Wei," Lan Qiren grumbled, stroking his goatee with a hint of respect, "And would you happen to know his motives for doing so?"

"After becoming a cultivator of music, he continued to strengthen his golden core, consequently meeting his 'fated one' whom he had endlessly searched for and had eventually become his cultivation partner," Wei Wuxian continued. "As a monk, I believe that Lan An was given some insight as to where to search for his fated one, hence why he went to Gusu."

"Perhaps they founded the Clan because they wanted their legacy of cultivation to continue, or perhaps they simply wanted to settle down, but no one really knows, since it was so long ago. But around the same time, the Wen Clan was created by the founder 'Wen Mao', so I believe that Lan An was simply following his example."

"You are very insightful, Wei Wuxian," Lan Qiren remarked. "I would ask you from whom you learned such information from, however, but this doesn't excuse you sleeping in my lecture." Wei Wuxian held back a wince; he'd hoped the old man had forgotten about that.

"But grandmaster, I have a very good reason as to why I was sleeping, sir," Wei Wuxian sent a glance to Lan Wangji, who was watching him with a raised eyebrow as if saying, 'really? Do entertain me'. He just hoped the Lan wouldn't rat him out..

"Well, grandmaster," Wei Wuxian straightened his back as he explained, "Actually, I was fast asleep when it first started..."

Knock. Knock.

"There was a strange knocking on my door,"

Wei Wuxian grumbled, pulling his blanket over his ears to muffle the sound disturbing his once soundless sleep. But despite his efforts, the knocking persisted.

Knock. Knock. Knock. Knock.

"So I got out of bed, very very tired, I assure you, and made my way to the door,"

Wei Wuxian peered outside, looking left and right in an attempt to find the source to the sound.

"Except no one was there."

Nie Huaisang leaned closer in interest, "What happened next, Wei-Xiong?"

"What happened next was very surprising," he continued. "I stepped out of my room because I was adamant that something had been interrupting my sleep; I was sure of it."

Wei Wuxian held back a yawn as he pulled on his boots, chucked an outer robe around his shoulders, and made his way around the premises. He swore he could sense something there, but couldn't put his finger on it...