42. The Devil Went Down To Louisiana

My legs were heavy as they carried me toward the huddle that was surrounding Coach. Though we'd gone reasonably easy for this practice in order to not wear us out before tomorrow's game, fire burned through me with every step which contrasted drastically with the cool weather. I felt like I was going to collapse at any moment. Luckily for me though, as soon as I joined the huddle, an arm snaked around my waist and pulled me up, taking on my weight so I didn't have to.

"You okay?" Tyler softly asked, nearly swallowed by the chatter that fluttered between the other boys around us.

"Yeah, I'm just super tired."

He chuckled. "I told you that you should've gotten up earlier to eat breakfast this morning," Tyler lightly chastised in a sing-song voice.

"I did!"

"A real breakfast, Addison. Not just an apple."

I let out a huff, causing him to grin before he pressed a soft kiss into my hair. "It'll be over soon, Romeo, just be patient."

"Alright, ladies. We'll meet here at five forty-five tomorrow morning. The bus will take off at six so that we can make it to Buffalo by at least twelve. Then you boys will have until six to rest until we meet for our final practice until about seven-thirty, alright?" Murmurs of agreement left everyone's lips. "Good. If you're still struggling with what to pack, refer to the packing checklist I sent to everyone's parents. Make sure you get some rest and please make sure that you are on time because I won't wait for you." He put his hand out which instantly prompted all of us to gather around him and put our hands in as well. "Trojans on three, Trojans on me," he said. "One, two, three–"

"Trojans!" we all said before the circle broke and chatter filled the air as we all migrated toward the locker room. Ian was practically running due to the fact that Lelani was waiting for him in the gym so that they could go get food from her favorite mexican joint. He wouldn't shut up about it all day, and although I could see how others would see it as annoying, I was beyond happy that my best friend had found someone that made him that excited. They were so cute together even when they weren't physically together.

"Are you excited for your first and last All-State game as a Trojan?" I asked Tyler, causing him to scoff.

"Yeah, but I'm also kind of nervous. I'd never really been a huge sports guy back in Louisiana, so having all of this happen at once is kinda overwhelming. I just don't want to be the weak link that costs us the win, you know?"

I gave his stomach a pat. "You won't, Ty. In fact, I think we have a pretty good chance at winning this year, especially now that you're on the team. You're kinda badass and super hot when you're focused and hungry for a win."

He rolled his eyes. "Thanks Addison," he said in a sarcastic tone though he was smiling, before he craned his neck down to kiss me, a simple action that I'd missed so much over these past few days, but right as his lips brushed mine, we were interrupted by a deep voice calling out Tyler's name.

We both instantly pulled away and turned toward the direction of the voice only to see his father standing behind the fence of the field. Once he saw he had our attention, the edges of his lips tugged up in a shy smile as he gave me a small wave. Despite how badly I wanted to be mad at Mr. Barnett, I couldn't bring myself to be. He seemed just as hurt as Tyler when it came to his "mother" and what she was trying to do. Besides, he was protecting Tyler from his mom by letting him stay with us. If Tyler wasn't too mad, how could I be?

I returned his small wave before I looked up at Tyler. The playful attitude that had festered within him had brutally been killed as he looked at his father. He stood a bit straighter as an emotionless mask fell over his features. His arm fell from around my waist. "Addi, go ahead, I'll catch up with you in a sec."