25

Joys POV

I flee from their angry and disappointed stares to the safety of my room. I lock the door and go into my closet, it's been my own little hide away. Wanting to feel the comfort of home I put on Max's oversized shirt that I took from him.

I know I should have stayed and talk to them, but I just couldn't take their angry stares anymore. I didn't intend for them to spend their day worried about me. I was so sad when I woke up this morning, I didn't think about anyone but myself. Casey and Ben managed to make today great. It was carefree and fun and for the first time since my mom died I felt like I could be myself.

When my mom died, a part of me did too. Overnight I felt like I aged 10 years. Everyone was hurting, and as amazing as my dad is, he needed help. So I stepped up, shoving my hurt down so I could focus on my family. My mom was kind, understanding, and supportive. I wanted my sisters to have that, so everyday I thought what would mom do, how would she handle this. There was no more being annoyed with my little sisters or trying to spend time away from them, they needed me.

Coming here I needed to be strong. Dad was already under so much stress, I didn't want him to worry about me. I tried to be accepting and understanding of my 'new family' because I honestly do care about them. Since I got here I can see they needed someone too. They are all angry and sad in their own way. So I did what I do best, not make waves and help where I can.

Today though I felt like a teenager. No cares, no worries. Instead I was laughing and hanging out with friends. I felt so lite, like a weight I've been carrying around was lifted. Well, until we pulled into the driveway. That weight came crashing down and it brought anger, frustration , and disappointment with it.

I grab my iPod turning the volume on high. Grabbing down the photo album dad gave me before sitting down in my closet. Flipping open the album, I turn to a picture of dad hugging mom. I remember taking this picture, we had just got done with a water war, I snapped the picture as mom was laughing.

I stare at the picture til tears run down my face. I lay my head on the album to be close to her. I am selfish; I didn't think of my dad, my sisters, my brothers, or anyone who might worry.  I say a prayer that she wasn't watching me today, she would have been disappointed.

———————-

Kent POV

We all turn and watch as Joy runs in the house. Sean moves to follow after her but I step to block him.

"Move Kent" he says trying to side step around me. I've been nothing but rude to Joy but she stepped up for me last night and this is the least I can do.

"Not til you calm down. You can tell she is upset".

"Kent stay out of this. I'm responsible for her when dads not here. She is a naive teenage girl, she can't just leave and not tell us where she is. Some sick things have been going thru my mind on what could have happened and she was out with some boy."

He moves past me I see Henry try to stop him. But Sean moves with ease past him on a mission.

We all follow in after him"Joy...Joy" he walks thru the kitchen before bounding up the steps two at a time. He goes to open her door but finds it locked. Sean slams his palm on the door "Joy open the door. We are not done talking".

He is met with complete silence. He pounds again
"Open this door right now or I will".

He is shaking with anger and needs to calm down before he talks to her. If he comes at her like this she may never forgive him.

I put my hand on his shoulder to gain his attention. "Sean cool off. She's home and safe. If you go in there like this.... you can't take that back."

"I think he's right man. Get a drink relax, she will still be here in the morning" Henry says trying to persuade him.

Just as I think we finally got thru to him, he looks to Paul asking for his wallet. Paul hands it over without questioning. Sean grabs a card out to break into her room.

"If she wants to finally start acting like a child I will treat her like one." He moves the card around until the door swings open.

I panic for a minute because she's not here. Paul walks to her window but it's locked. We all look to the closed closet. Sean opens the door but doesn't make another move. I hear a quiet sorry before Sean turns storming out of her room.

Joy's on her closet floor in an oversized sweatshirt and penguin pajama pants, she looks 10 instead of 15. I move a little closer and see she is resting her head on a book, no not a book but a picture album. A picture of a woman laughing at the camera. She looks familiar but I've never met her. This must be Joy's mom.

She looks up at me with her bruised face that is puffy and streaked with tears. She looks so sad and helpless. Disappointing everyone, being angry and sad that I understand.

I'm not sure where the others went but I sit down beside her. I'm not the comforting type but I can be there so she knows she's not alone.