Chapter 30: Puzzle Pieces [Part 2]

-Here we go... 

This chapter has something I have been hinting at since the very beginning of the story, and it's the reason there are so many scenes of romance between Aurora and Myrkr. I have been using those romance scenes to add pieces to a big puzzle, and one of the early flashbacks in the last chapter added a huge piece—take a look at the flashback after Splinter told Myrkr he had a crush on Aurora.

Nobody has mentioned anything about this foreshadowing, and I have avoided the temptation to tease about it for a long time. Finally, it's here!

-NFD

~~~

"Aurora!"

My eyes snapped open, then Myrkr and I groaned in perfect sync. "Should I get up?" Myrkr asked reluctantly, his head still resting over my ears.

I thought about that for a minute. On one paw, saying no would mean that Mom would eventually find me, and in turn, see Myrkr literally laying on top of me. That could go a lot of different ways, many of which not things I want to deal with. On the other, I was very comfortable and loved the closeness of our position. Having Myrkr's weight spread over my body was oddly therapeutic too. I was relaxed in places I didn't even know could relax.

"Do you want to?" I queried, remembering that I had asked something similar when rubbing his healing legs moon-cycles ago.

"Not really," he replied lazily. "You're comfortable to lay on." He paused. "Erm, please don't take that the wrong way."

"You're good," I assured calmly, ignoring my mother as she called my name again. "It's surprisingly relaxing to be laid on."

I felt his tail idly flick over mine. "Can I try that next time?"

"Sure, but I call dibs for most of them in the future." Maybe that was too selfish...

"That's fair," he agreed, dispelling my worries. It was silent for a few seconds. "We're weird, aren't we?"

"Yes," I confirmed, amused. "But weird is a good thing." We were too comfortable to bother with embarrassment or deeper thinking. After how busy the last few weeks have been, it was nice to do absolutely nothing for once. I resolved to do this more often.

"Is it really?"

"I dunno." I was too lazy to shrug right now. "My scales are weird, but you love them anyway."

He hummed pleasantly at that. "Good point." And with that, we were back to relaxing. Too bad that couldn't last forever.

When Mom finally found me a few minutes later, she happened to push through the grass in front of our heads, peeking into the small circle of trampled grass Myrkr and I had created. I felt Myrkr tense, so I hooked the end of our tails together and squeezed reassuringly. He relaxed once more.

I slowly lifted my eyes to Mom, seeing a faint blush coloring her face, her wide eyes staring at us with surprise. "Hey, Mom," I greeted lazily.

"Am I... interrupting something?" She asked awkwardly, averting her eyes.

"W-We're not there yet," I said, feeling heat rise to my cheeks. Myrkr tensed again, but I couldn't blame him; neither of us expected Mom to assume that. "We're relaxing. It's been... stressful... recently."

"Whew, that was close." She looked at us again with evident relief. "It would be awkward to walk in on my daughter and her mate mating." Correction; not awkward, mortifying. I'd rather bite off my own paw than have anyone see Myrkr and me mating.