Chapter 13: The Shadow of Doubt

-This chapter will be more of the fluff between Aurora and Myrkr. And, finally, we get to the biggest roadblock. 

I apologize to those of you who liked the romance, but this chapter will take a little dark turn. I've hinted at it for the last two chapters, but its time has come. Also, today is a double-chapter day for those of you who didn't see my announcement. 

Important:

I won't be doing "Author's Note" chapters like I did in NFV. Instead, that stuff will be posted on my profile in the "conversations" part. If you want to get announcements from me regarding late releases, double-releases, or other stuff like that, you can follow my profile to get notifications. Or, you can just manually look whenever you want, but you won't get the notifications. Either way works.

I'm doing this so NFW won't be as cluttered as NFV used to be with all of those Author's Note chapters. They were annoying to go through, to be honest.

Enjoy!

-NFD

~~~

I paced back and forth in the dim lighting of the cave's mushrooms, the mushrooms in my path already trampled flat. Dad had told Splinter to tell Myrkr to meet him outside, alone, and I wasn't allowed to intrude. That wasn't a good sign.

"You're going to wear a rut pacing like that," Splinter remarked, watching me idly. I shot her an annoyed glance. "What? I'm just saying..." I resumed pacing, my tail tip flicking anxiously.

Dad sounded angry for some reason, and with him asking, no, commanding Myrkr to meet him in private, I had the right to be worried. Myrkr was probably in a lot of trouble for sleeping as close to me as he did; that had to be it. I knew Dad was extremely protective of me, and he was surely angry about Myrkr breaking intimate boundaries like that.

I was very worried for Myrkr. He wasn't only my friend anymore, he had the potential to be more than that, and I didn't want Dad to scare him away. Sure, Myrkr was clumsy, timid, definitely non-confrontational, and didn't have any strength that a typical male would have, but I liked him a lot

I've grown very attached to him since I met him over a season-cycle ago. I used to be fearful of him, always doubting the sincerity of his actions, but that wasn't a problem anymore. He was cute, handsome, charming, kind, honest, funny, considerate, gentle, caring, and pretty much perfect in every way! I never would've considered that in the past, but I'd never felt so sure of anything in my life. 

I blinked, halting my pacing as the realization dawned on me. Myrkr was very good at this...

Here I was, pacing back and forth with worry and thinking so confidently about this. I always used 'maybes' or 'probablys' when it came to my feelings, afraid to commit to anything. Myrkr worked tirelessly for more than a season-cycle, far longer than typical courting should last, just to change my mind about him.

And he succeeded.

Just now, I decided that I wanted to love him and be his mate. I wasn't even embarrassed about it anymore. I thought that he was perfect in every way. Just thinking about those alluring eyes and funny smile made my legs feel like jelly. Oh, I definitely had it bad. Myrkr had effectively pulled me in and gotten my attention, just as he wanted for so long. Myrkr had won, and I didn't have the strength to resist his pull anymore. 

It was only a matter of time before he actually did it...

But why did I still feel like that was wrong?