Welcome to Oklahoma

Moving all the way from Manhattan, New York to Oklahoma City,Oklahoma was a pretty big step for a 13 year old girl. And that's me. My parents decided to move out of the Big Apple to a quiet place where they won't be awaken by the sirens that roam the city. New York is filled with opportunities and stores and Oklahoma. . .so not. We'll be 3 hours in the air and I regret it. I stare outside my window and all I see is big blobs of white. In only half an hour I am bored and decide to draw on my sketch pad. I draw a boy and a girl sitting in a dark place and from a hole on the wall, a ray of sunshine shines through. . . directly at them. I sped my 3 hours making that drawing extremely detailed as possible. The meaning of that drawing means hope. As in, there's always hope no matter how bad things are. Whenever things are bad my mom says these quotes that are really helpful and me favorite is the one of hope. I remember my mom told me that one when I was having a fight with my best friend, Lindsay. I had to leave her behind but we've promised to each other to video chat every day.

"That's a pretty drawing." my mom says to me.

"Thanks." I say without making eye contact. There's a pause between us.

"Look, I know your not as thrilled about this move. But your dad and I are, and I thought you be happy for us." mom says.

"I am. It's just. . . different to what I'm used to." I say. "Plus, there's probably no wifi there."

"You'll live." my mother says as she puts a hand in my shoulder. I look out the window as I feel the plane starting to go down and the seat belt sign goes on. I start to see large fields of plants, trucks and huge machines that I have no name for.

"You'll learn about those things soon." mom says. That's something else she does. She can read your mind; mom powers. Once we're out of the plane and waiting for our taxi, I feel strange. My dark, ripped, glitter jeans with a gray tank top that has the design of Mickey Mouse with glasses that have pink glitter hearts inside, and on my hair I have a small pink bow that holds my bangs to the side and the rest of my red hair falling down in curls. Everyone else has plain close and black or brown hair. After ten minutes of waiting, a car pulls up in front of us. We put our luggage on the trunk and my father gives the directions to driver. We drive through buildings, fields, rivers and a bridge, until we reach my aunt Sally's house. We'll be staying with her until my parents find a house for us to live in. Aunt Sally's house is located in an old neighborhood. The house is 2 stories up and has bunch of rooms for all of us. I haven't being here in quiet a while. We get out of the car and take out or luggage and my dad pays the driver. Walking up the steps to my aunt's porch we ring the bell and she comes out in seconds. The sight of her red hair in a low ponytail and her pale face, like mine, gives me pleasure.

"It's about time you arrive!" my aunt says happily. "Come in!" We go inside and the smell of pine hits my nose.

"It's great to see you, Janice!" aunt Sally says while grabbing my mom in a hug.

"You too, Sally!" mom says.

"And Joe! How's everything?!" my aunt squeals. I smile.

"Everything's great. Oklahoma is beautiful." my dad says and aunt Sally smiles.

"Casey! My, have you grown!" aunt Sally squeals at the sight of me.

"It's good to see you, Aunt Sally!" I say as she brings me into a hug. She's excited to have company in her house since her husband died a few years back.

"Well, I'm almost done cooking lunch and then we can go sight seeing!" my aunt says.

"That'd be a great idea before Casey starts school tomorrow." my mom says.

"What?" I ask surprise.

"Just because we moved doesn't move you wont be attending school." my mom says to me.