Sign Language

Liam's POV

*************

We had been gone for about an hour. You know with Niall it took a while so when we came back I was surprised to see that the curtain around Katie's room was still shut. Maybe she had gone to sleep or something. I thought she would have gotten up to get something to eat or anything but no, she must still be in there. 

The others all walked into the living room and I followed them. 

'Let's play COD!' Louis shouted and I shushed him. 

'Katie's sleeping' I warned him. 

'Sorry to break this to you Liam but it won't matter to Katie how much noise I make. She cannot hear me' Louis said cruelly.

'It's my fault isn't it?' I said sitting down on the couch. Zayn sat next to me on one side and Harry on the other. 

'It's not your fault Li' Harry comforted.

'But it is... I should have checked to make sure she had the earplugs in. I should have done something. I didn't do anything until my solo was over. Maybe she wouldn't be deaf if I had stopped and saved her earlier. It's all my fault!' I explained putting my head in my hands. 

'Li, you can't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault at all.' Zayn said and I wish I could believe him. I can't though, it was all my fault. 

'She isn't going to ever be able to dance again with us is she?' I asked Cecilia specifically. 

'Probably not. There is ways to keep the beat without hearing but it will be a little while until she will be able to do so. She won't be doing any dancing for anyone for a while' She said slowly. I felt like crying, it was all my fault, but I had to be strong. Be strong for Katie. 

I stood up quickly and walked away.

'Liam, where are you going?' someone asked behind me. 

'To her.' I answered simply and kept walking. I walked to the bunks and opened the curtain to Katie's one only slightly. She looked up at me. She was sitting there on her laptop. 

'Hey Liam' She said quietly. 

'Hey' I said but then cursed myself because she couldn't hear me. 

'Liam! Don't say that word!' She warned me and I looked at her confused, how had she known what I said. I got really excited, maybe this meant she got her hearing back or something. I was about to ask when she spoke. 'This whole time I have been learning how to read lips and do sign language.' I nodded. Now I get it. She didn't smile at me at any time we had been talking. I guess I wouldn't smile either. 

I climbed into the bunk and sat down next to her. I motioned to the computer as if asking if I could type something so she would understand me, she nodded and handed me the computer. 

'Can I learn some sign language with you?' I typed into word.

'I'd love you to' She nodded and I smiled. She didn't smile back though. 

2 hours we spent learning sign language quietly. There was no need to make noise. I had learnt a lot but I had also thought a lot. 

Just because her hearing was gone didn't mean my feelings for her had gone, I don't think I realized that until I was spending time with her. I guess I kind of gave up, I know that is wrong off me but while I have been sitting here with her, learning with her, watching her I realized that she is still the same beautiful person she was before. 

I know the negatives of this. She won't be able to dance, she won't be able to hear me sing and she will have trouble talking to others who don't know her condition but I made a promise in these two hours. A promise to myself that I will always be there when she needs me. To always help her with other people. I will learn this sign language so I can talk to her without having to write it down and make her feel worse about the situation. And I promise that I will love her with all of my heart because she needs me as much as I need her and i love her. I really do. 

'Let's go crazy, crazy, crazy till we see the sun! I know we only met but let's pretend it's love!' I heard someone's phone ring. I tried to ignore it and keep learning with Katie until I realized it was Katie's phone. She couldn't hear it so she wouldn't know it was hers. I grabbed her phone, reaching across her and showing her that it was ringing. I hadn't looked at who was ringing. 

'You answer it. I can't hear what they are saying remember so you can help me out.' She said pushing the phone to me. I answered it without looking at who it was and heard a familiar voice. 

'Hey Katie. Oh wait, is this Katie?' Danielle asked. 

'No it's not Katie. It's Liam. She wouldn't be able to hear you if it was Katie. I am gonna help her out. Did you know about what happened?' I told Danielle who I used to think was the love of my life until I found Katie. Katie was staring at my lips intently, probably trying to read what I was saying. 

'Oh, hey Liam. I only just found out. That's why I called except now I realise that was a dumb move because she wouldn't have heard the phone if she was on her own and just tell her I'm sorry and that she can come stay with me in London if things are too much on tour. I have to g. I rang in my break. See ya!' She rushed before hanging up.

'Who was it?' Katie asked. She was still staring at my lips. I was going to say something but then I remembered that I should try to sign it. Wait, I don't know how to sign Danielle.

'Danielle' I said slowly. She must have understood my lips and nodded her head. 

'What did she say?' She asked again. I could probably sign some of this. 

'She said that she... is... sorry and that if...you want you...could...go stay with her...if being on tour is too...much' I spoke it as I signed it. I took gaps in the middle trying to remember the signs. Some of them I just had to say because I didn't know the signs. 

'She said she is sorry and if I want to go stay with her if something is too much?' SHe asked clarrifying what I said. 

'Tour! Tour! If tour is too much' i repeated and she nodded her head. 

'Liam will you stay in her tonight with me?' She asked and I nodded. 

'First I think you need to eat something. You didn't eat lunch' I signed but half talked. She shook her head and I sighed. 

'Come on, please? For me?' I asked, I didn't know how to sign that stuff so I just said it really slowly. She just shook her head again and I sighed again. 

'You can't starve yourslef just because you can't hear.' I told her slowly again. 

'Yes, I can. Not hearing means I can never proffesionaly dance. I will never hear another persons voice. I will never hear you sing again and do you know how important that is to me? Now it's gone. I will never ever do those things again and it's all because I didn't wear stupid ear plugs and my stupid dead parents didn't tell me they might be deaf. I think that is reason enough to not want to be hear. When some of the most important things are ripped away. You realise how important they were.' She whispered and burst out crying half way through. I laid down on the bed and brought her to her side to lay down beside me. 

I kissed her forehead not know what else to do other than comfort her. 

I never meant for this to happen. She is starving herself because she can't hear me. She can't hear anything. I don't want to loose all of her just because she lost her hearing.