EPILOGUE | Ava

8 MONTHS LATER

"Ava, your banana bread could end wars and cure cancer."

Courtney tears another chunk of it out of the pan, barely even flinching at how hot the bread still is, and I watch in amusement. "I keep offering you the recipe," I remind her.

"I'm lazy."

"I know."

Hannah sweeps into the kitchen, tucking her phone into her pajama pocket. "Nick's dropping by."

Courtney brightens immediately. "Is Ashton coming with?"

Hannah shrugs. "I didn't ask."

Courtney wilts immediately, pretending to glare at Hannah. "That's selfish, Han. You're not the only one with a boyfriend here." Then she glances at me. "Oops. Sorry, Ava."

I open the fridge to grab a beer. The funny thing is, I'm not even mad. After Noah and I shared that awkward moment in front of his car after the Fall Ball, we met again only in front of my locker at school the following Monday. The conversation had felt forced and unnatural. A part of me still wants to blame Noah's upbringing in Texas, where evidently kids do not follow the same rules as they do here — but I know I can't, because even as someone who grew up in Fieldbrook, I know we must seem ridiculous to an outsider. We broke up soon afterwards, and for a while I had been upset about it. But I recovered sooner than I had expected I would.

"So, Juliby's throwing an end-of-the-year party," Courtney begins.

Hannah and I immediately exchange looks across the counter. Courtney notices and crosses her arms. "Oh, come on. We're all going to be separated soon. We should at least celebrate the end of this crazy year."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, cracking the beer open. "We're all going to be on the same coast."

Courtney tears another chunk of bread out of the pan. "Yeah, but Jay and Ashton aren't. And Juliby, and a bunch of others."

I shrug. I guess Courtney has a point. We'll all be on the east coast, including Nick, who, along with Kyle and Nicole, are going to Ivy Leagues, but we'll still be hours apart. Ashton and Juliby are both heading to southern California. Jay had shocked all of us by announcing he'll be going to a UC. A few of our friends had wrinkled their noses, and I know Jay's parents must be steaming, but I'm impressed. It's not that they're bad schools — it's just Fieldbrook and the expectations here. If it weren't for the fact that UCs mean staying in this godforsaken state, I would have probably considered them, too.

The three of us head to Hannah's living room, still arguing with Courtney about the party. As we plop down, I catch sight of the pug faces on Hannah's pajama pants and smile. Over half a year ago, the three of us had sat on these sofas, listening to Courtney plead with us about another party — a party that would change everything.

As though reading my mind, Hannah sets her beer down and shakes her head. "This is some serious déjà vu."

Courtney sighs dramatically, sweeping a lock of blonde hair behind her shoulder. "Well?" When stare back at her blankly, she adds, "Aren't you guys going to thank me?"

Hannah looks at me, her eyebrows raised. "Has she finally lost her mind?"

"Courtney," I say urgently. "Quick, who's the president?"

She rolls her eyes just as Hannah laughs. "I mean, if it weren't for my convincing, Hannah would still be single and bitter. And I would probably still be chasing after Ashton."

"And what have I gained?" I ask, unimpressed.

Courtney gapes at me like I'm missing the obvious. "Experience," she tells me. "And okay, apart from that. Who knows how long you'd still be sulking away in your room? You had fun, like the rest of us. You have to admit that, Ava."