𝟬𝟵 romeo, where is thy shield?

CHAPTER NINEromeo, where is thy shield?

CHAPTER NINE
romeo, where is thy shield?

———— VERONA!
( CALIFORNIA )

"OF ALL THE weapons you had to choose, you shot off the one thing that alerted a building full of guards to our presence!"

Verona sunk down in her seat in the far corner of a local diner just up the road from her childhood home, her eyes glaring as heatedly as they could at Connor, who sat in front of her opposite in the booth, waiting impatiently for her to finish berating him so he could get a word in. Running out of the prison had been no easy trick — the guard had turned out to be a monster, but he had not been the problem. The problem had been that when he had kicked Verona over with his taloned feet (because he had those, too!), Connor had decided he had enough and chose to shoot him straight between the eyeballs — he had faded to dust pretty quickly, but the problem was that for whatever reason, the mist had not covered up the sound of the actual gunshot and the prison had quickly gone into lockdown upon hearing it, forcing Verona and Connor to hatch up a very detailed, quick, and terrible plan in order to escape without being seen (they had done it, alibi they were arguing the entire time, and had not stopped since).

"Will you please shut up for one second. For Gods sake," Connor groaned, throwing his hands up in the air. He, like Verona, had gotten rid of the exterminator costume at a gas station a few miles up the road from the prison, and was now sitting in front of her in his original clothes, his hair a complete mess on the top of his head and a small scratch still left on the side of his cheek from where the taloned creature had hit him after he pushed Verona back.

"No," Verona snapped back, feeling angry — she felt like she was on fire, she had felt that way ever since she left Ares. And she wanted to blame that feeling of chaos on Ares, she really did, but the daughter of Aphrodite knew full and well that she had been so angry at her father, and a two minute conversation between them Connor had let the two have had not cured that at all. "I want to know why the mist didn't cover that stupid gunshot."

Connor rolled his eyes — he had been doing that a lot lately. Verona thinks he's annoyed with her, and partially that makes her giddily happy inside. "The mist isn't foolproof, princess. Hecate controls it and it's usually only used for sight. If any of the guards were to go back to the corridor where we fought that creature right now, they wouldn't find an bullet she'll, but something like a piece of rubber or a bottle cap, probably."

"I suppose," Verona muttered, feeling herself simmer down after that explanation. Connor had his long legs spread out under the small booth and his knees were now pressed against Verona's — she scowled and sat back, though they're feet still remained pushed together. She paused after a moment, staring at him before kicking him with her right foot. "Are you trying to play footsie with me?"