𝟮𝟴 the beginning of the end

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHTthe beginning of the end

the beginning of the end

——— VERONA!
( CAMP HALF BLOOD, JUNE 30 )

PREPPING FOR BATTLE WAS HARD WORK.

The beginning of the end started on a regular morning on the last day of June, but it had progressed into something even more nefarious as Camp Half Blood tiredly prepared for battle before Percy, Annabeth and everyone else who was gone had arrived back. Not just hard, but exhausting. Verona felt her bones might sink into oblivion and completely fall out of her skin, should she moved another inch, much less. The sun was shining so, so hotly in her skin she felt as though it may burn straight off, and her siblings were running around with combs in their hands, brushing our pegasus manes and fixing crooked armour. She swore she even saw a few of them braid glitter into people's hair, and flowers onto other's armour. It was a nice sentiment, she supposed, them wanting to look good before war. They were also all wearing the same Givenchy perfume and cologne, because they swore that it was something monsters shied away from as though it was the plague. It was something even Elska believed in, which led Verona to think that maybe there was more to it than just that. As far as she was concerned, the monsters she had seen desperately needed a mani-pedi, and a full blow out, so maybe there was something to the Givenchy perfume.

Most of all, the sound of one of the satyrs from the council, Silenus, arguing with Chiron and Grover once he, Percy, Annabeth and much to Verona's surprise, Nico, returned. The boy in black looked like he needed a hug, but Verona had a feeling he wasn't very comfortable with it, so she had ruffled his hair and handed him custom black armour the Aphrodite cabin had in storage that she had found. He seemed thankful almost, and had tightened it around himself, strapping it on properly.

"I feared as much," Chiron muttered gravely once Percy had finished telling him what had happened on their quest. "We must hurry. Hopefully you have slowed down the Titan lord, but his vanguard will still be coming through. They will be anxious for blood. Most of our defenders are already in place. Come!"

"Wait a minute," Silenus sounded angry and petty, to be arguing at the very moment Camp Half Blood was about to go to war. "What of the search for Pan? You are almost three weeks overdue, Grover. Your searcher's license is revoked!"

Grover looked angry and upset all at once when he stood up, as though he had lost greater in his time away than ever before. "Searcher's licenses don't matter anymore. The great god Pan is dead. He passed on and left us his spirit."

Verona lifted an eyebrow, arguably surprised. For years, all any satyr had been trying to do is figure out where Pan was, and what he had been up to, if even alive. It seemed that Grover finally had. Something akin to pride blossomed as Verona stared at Grover, seeing how much he had matured since when he had first bought Annabeth and Luke to Camp. He had truly become a great satyr, and Verona was glad to call him a friend.