Chapter 13

Earlier back in Paris

After Marinette visited Manon, she did a few things before actually leaving. And one of those things, was visiting Lila.

Marinette roamed the middle class section of Paris and found Lila's place. Her house was a light gray color with a few trees in front. There was a small gate with a path leading to the main door as well. But it was opened.

Marinette saw a little boy in her front yard and greeted him.

"Hey Keoni, what's your mom doing"? She asked.

The little boy looked at her and quickly ran inside. Scared someone noticed him. Marinette smiled and went through the gate. Then, she hit the bells hanging loosely above a tree with a stick. As this was 'the door bell'.

Marinette heard walking and that's when Lila appeared.

" Marinette! How's Gotham "?

" Well, I guess it's alright".

"Oh, well, would you like to come in"?

" yes please".

The two walked in and started talking. Lots of random topics went by until Marinette decided she'd ask for specific advice.

"Uhm, Lila, I don't know how, or when, but Damian. I , I just can't explain the feelings I have when I'm close to him. It's all just so weird. Something foreign I haven't felt".

" Marinette, people out there will call it love. But I call it a sign. A sign telling you to confront those feelings of yours and his. If you brought this up today, it's obviously because you can't live with this feeling without him knowing. I know you Marinette. So do what your heart tells you to do. I trust every decision you take, will lead you to a much better life. Don't hold these doubts or anything. Just let it out and see how it goes. Nothing can ever go wrong. And if anything does, there's always a reason".

"Thank you Lila. And please, tell Nathaniel and Mark I said hi". And with that, Marinette left.

Present moment

Marinette's pov

No

That's all I was able to process. The only word that actually made sense.

Do you love me?

I just thought, that if I came clean, then so would he. But he said no. And, he never joked around. As a matter of fact, he's never been a humorous human. So how could this be a joke. He meant it.

No, he did not love me the way I did.

No, he did not hold the feelings I had for him.

No, he didn't see me in that way.

And No, he would never learn to love me the way I learned to love him.

I walked out my bedroom and grabbed a coat. I walked out of the house and completely left. Hoping to forget about this stupid incident.

But there was hardly ever a way to stop this.

Honestly, there is nothing that would stop the pain in my non-existent heart, might as well call it a useless organ. But there were ways to ease the pain just a but.

Forget about it for a while, was an option I was going to gladly take.

So I just walked around town and entered some random place. I made sure it was a place I needed to be in. And right I was.

The smell of fresh coffee beans hit me and I was glad. Alcohol would've been better at the moment, but Damian made sure to stop my addictions, for now I guess, though at this point, I shouldn't even care anymore.

I took a seat by the counters and a barista walked towards me.

"How's your day been Miss"?

I was going to tell him my days been perfectly fine, but it just wasn't the truth.

" Not my best day, actually, but I'm just hoping it doesn't stay like this for long".

"Well I hope so as well. Anything you wanna order"?

" Sure, just an espresso I guess. I don't really know what to order anymore".

"It's alright Miss, it'll be the best you've ever tasted".

" thank you".

I pulled my phone out and called Mr Wayne.

"Hello, who is this"?

" It's Marinette, sir".

"Oh, well what's wrong"?

" Look, the following will seem stupid, I know, but, I just can't live with your son anymore. No, he did not do anything. No, he did not intend to do anything. And no, he did not start it.

The thing is, I just can't be near him anymore. And if you're getting the wrong idea, no, we've never whatever you might be thinking".

"I see. I'll have to talk to Alfred about this. He'll be able to make the adjustments you're asking for".

" thank you Mr Wayne".

The call ended and all I was doing now, was watching the barista prepare my espresso. I guess it was kind of interesting. So I kept watching him.

After a while, he finished and handed me my cup.

"Thank you".

" No problem, by the way, it's been paid for".

"By who"?

" guy over there".

The barista left to attend some other people and I turned to my left.

Some guy in a brown leather jacket was sitting two seats from me.

I guess he noticed I was looking at him when he spoke.

"No wonder, your his perfect height" !

What the hell is he talking about?

"Am I supposed to know you"?

" Ah, so he's kept me in the dark. It was expected. I'm Dami's second oldest brother. I kind of thought you'd know.  Now that you're married to him and such. I'm also known as Jason Todd".

"Yeah, I've hardly ever heard of you. I just know you're the tall one".

" So, he has spoken about me"?

"Well, not necessarily you, but like, you and his other brothers. Step brothers if I remember well".

" That's right. So, where's Dami "?

" Probably calling me a pathetic loser". I said looking down. I decided, now would be a good time to finally take a sip of my espresso.

"But why"?

" I don't even want to talk about it. Or even remember. I mean, I'm already starting to realize how pathetic I really am".

"I don't think you're pathetic. Maybe a bit though".

I could tell the barista was eavesdropping due to the facepalm he let out.

" Look, Jason, I don't even want to talk about him right now. I just want to enjoy my coffee. And, it's not like I'm gonna be seeing him soon".

"What do you mean"?

" I've recently called Mr Wayne and asked for adjustments to the contract basically. I want to move out. I wouldn't be feeling comfortable with him anymore. I mean, things are just so weird now".

"And, do you know where you're going to go"?

" No, not yet at least".

"Well, why don't you come stay at my place"?