Chapter 2

Adora was grateful over the next few days to be so busy that there was no time to think of anything else. Especially not Bow or Catra or Catra's girlfriend. Glimmer had arrived on Sunday morning to help for opening day, and Adora had responded by squeezing her tightly into a hug and telling her she's already the best coworker this place had seen. Which wasn't technically a lie, since Adora hadn't had a coworker until this point. Unless you counted Angella, who was currently hanging plants and humming along while Adora ran around like a madman.

Glimmer turned out to be around Adora's age and was taking a gap year to work locally before she figured out what to do next with her life. She wanted to go to grad school but she also wanted to quit the whole thing and become a photographer. Adora found she already liked her. They continued to chat as they cleaned the place and figured out the different fancy coffee makers.

Glimmer stood at 5'3" and had bubblegum pink and purple hair styled in a short bob. She had a floral skirt that ruffled around her knees, and a pair of high-top boots that did not help much in making her taller. She was pale and freckly and downright adorable. She also knew a lot more about coffee than Adora did. She walked her through how to make an Americano, espresso, and latte while Adora frantically took notes. Each note got taped along the backside of the counter so she could use them for reference later.

"We should really have some snacks or something, too. At least some croissants," Adora noted mostly to herself as she lapped the store, chewing on her nails.

"All with time," Angella replied calmly. She wrapped her arm around Adora's shoulder and gave her a small kiss on the head. "Relax my dear. Everything looks amazing so far." Adora took a deep breath and felt her shoulders return to a normal height. Her mother was right. "Plus isn't Glimmer amazing! I just want to adopt her!" Angella exclaimed, pressing a palm to her cheek. Adora rolled her eyes.

"Yes mom, well done."

"Now we just need to get some of your friends in here and this place will be hopping!"

Adora flushed and turned her attention to stacking and unstacking a wad of coasters. "Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon," She said finally. Angella shook her head and stuck a finger under her daughter's chin, raising her eyes to meet hers.

"Adora. As happy as you may try to be, I can tell when something is bothering you. I want to make sure you're not just painting away your feelings and are making time for the important things."

"My art is important," Adora pushed her mother's hand away and stepped back, crossing her arms.

"Of course it is, I only meant.."

"I know what you meant," Adora responded, keeping her tone even. Angella's face softened.

"I'm sure Catra would appreciate a call."

Adora laughed, "Yeah I'll do that."

Angella must have sensed her tone and crossed her arms, waiting patiently for an explanation. Adora looked up at her tall, gorgeous, goddess like mother and wondered how they could possibly be related. She had been told that on first glance, one might think an angel was walking towards them with long strawberry blonde hair and legs that went for days. Adora found that funny. She always had her mother's height, but she never felt like she matched the goddess image like her mother. No, she had always been more like her father.

Angella sighed and Adora tried to think of what to say just as Glimmer called for someone. "Coming!" Adora yelled, dropping the coasters back on the table, giving her mother a smile, and speed walking away from her.