Chapter 12- Derek

Chapter 12- Derek

 Derek

Derek waited just outside the town for the Witch to arrive. He stood tall and relaxed consumed by the darkness of the night and the chilling cold hanging in the air.

Suddenly the darkness was disturbed by a hazy red flicker of an image looming towards him. He looked up and noticed the Witch in a long red cloak walking towards him.

‘Willow’ Derek muttered as he observed her surroundings, possibly looking for another.

‘Derek my darling, it has been too long’ She spoke softly but an evil tone was noticeable in her silky soft voice. She studied him under her large hood and waited for Derek to respond.

‘Yes, decades, although with the curse I have no need for time keeping’

‘Oh, straight to the point as usual my darling. Well that is precisely why I’m here. I hear you have some information to share?’ She cooed.

Derek’s dark eyes flashed and the Witch smirked. She came closer and dropped her large cloak hood revealing an angelic face and long straight red hair.

 Willow, was once a powerful beautiful Witch from the Fire clan. Today with the destructions of the Witch clans she stands alone as the sole remainding survivor. Unlike her clan sisters Willow has practiced dark magic from an early age and her chance meeting with the youngest Vampire Prince, Derek, has aided her in protection against the Elf spell that stripped the Witch clans of their magic and immortality in the Big War.

Derek was the youngest rebellious Prince of the Vampire Kingdom and it was by chance that he left the coven after fighting with his brother, when the Royal family was attacked and killed throwing the Vampire world into chaos. In his wonderings of the world he met the beautiful and delicate looking Willow who enchanted him. They entered into a blood contract and as result protected each other from the war that almost destroyed the supernatural world. With Witch blood in his system Derek was immune to the time curse of the elf and the Witches. Willow also escaped the spell the elf elders casted on the Witch clans because she was corrupted with dark magic and vampire blood.

‘So will you share the information my darling’ Willow moved closer and gazed directly into Derek’s eyes.

‘What would that be witch?’  Over time Derek has come to despise the Witch and has activity avoided her.

‘Derek, you know I supply blood to your town, my agents talk. You have been travelling and inviting guests….Am I right’

Derek flinched back and Willow slyly smiled.

‘Who is it Derek, why the interest?, although my blood has given you immunity from the curse, you remain. Why leave now?’

‘You, witch, care far too much, my blood still steering your emotions?’

Willow suddenly laughed. It broke the silence and disturbed the night.

‘Oh darling, I’ve never heard you complain before about my ‘emotions’ before. In fact I remember it was a favourit activity of yours.’ A cruel smiled flashed across her face as she placed her hand on Derek’s chest.

‘Tell me’ She slowly whispered capturing his gaze again.

‘Some girl’ Derek stepped back and the action created distance. He seemed relieved although his face was an emotionless mask.

‘Girl? What? Who is she?’ The disbelief was evident in the witch’s voice.

‘I don’t know her, just some human girl’ He shrug his shoulders and looked towards his town. Maybe wanting an exit. Even to him the town was invisible. The time curse places vampire towns in time without them existing in any time reality de-voiding them of interacting with the world.

‘Derek, just spit it out’ The witch seemed irritated and Derek prolonged his reply clearly enjoying her irritation.

‘How many?’ He asked, again looking past her.

‘How many Vampire towns have I saved from perish and supplied blood to before they were driven crazy with hunger and killed each other? 10 in Europe and 5 more in America. It has been hard finding them without your aid. An army will be ready when you choose to act darling’ She sweetly replied.

‘What use is an army trapped in cursed towns witch? Eh? And how, pray tell, would I take down the Elf when there is a fucking magical shield protecting them?’ Derek responded sharply, his tone restrained.

‘It’s weakening, the wall. I’ve been monitoring it. I’ve heard rumors of the Protector being on his death bed.’ She smiled slyly again.

‘His son will take over, they have been preparing him for decades now. We know the system by now witch. It’ll continue the same’. Derek seemed fed-up. His tone took on a bored quality.

‘Actually he will not’ She laughed again, this time disturbing even Derek.

‘Why?’ He responded showing interest.

‘Pathetic Elf law dictates he must be mated before he gains any real magic and High Lord Eurk is mate-less’

‘How is that possible? Elf mating system is flawless. I’ve never heard of an elf that is mate-less.’

‘Well it’s happened and I believe fate is finally playing the game, either way, we need to be prepared’

Derek seemed he was in a trance as the witch talked about plans for the war. He paid no attention to her.

‘This girl…must be her’ He said half to himself.

‘That girl again, who is she?’

‘Couple of months ago I felt a pull towards a coach travelling miles outside the town. There were two human girls aboard’.

The witch appeared puzzled but allowed Derek to continue.

‘There was something special or different about the one with black hair. She was….I don’t know, she had scent I can’t describe’ He paused as if looking for the right words.

‘She basically wasn’t a normal human and I just remembered the myths that spoke of supernaturals sometimes having human mates and their unique scents’

‘What are you saying Derek?’

‘I think she might be the elf’s mate’

‘Why would you come to that conclusion? A high elf, never mind a royal high lord would never have a human mate’ She snorted in mockery.

‘I am a royal Vampire witch, don’t mock my teachings, she was a supernatural’s mate and if you’re saying the Protector’s hire is mateless then it makes sense she might be it…’ Again he broke off not finding the correct words.

‘Maybe she was yours’ The witch snarled.

‘No, I’d know’

‘Well in that case, we’ll have to capture her, can you do that?’

‘Yes’

‘Ok, leave breaking the curse to me; I need you ready to deal with Vampires once released. Claim your throne.’ She laughed as she faded back into the darkness.

Derek walked back to his town to prepare for his travel to Edgar town.