Chapter 5

A few weeks later they were on to platform 9 3/4. Harry, Tracey, their parents, Sirius, Moody and Tonks were in muggle clothes.

When they got to the platform Harry and Tracey said goodbye to everyone and then headed to the train. While they did that Harry saw a man with a copy of Voldemort's face.

While they were on their way to school Harry sat there quietly while the other three talked to each other.

While he did that he started to turn his neck on the other side. Then looked in front of himself.

Before they knew it they were having dinner. Harry sat next to Tracey as usual on his left and Hermione on his right. Ron was across from them.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices," said Dumbledore.

"First-years ought to know that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too." (Harry, Tracey, Ron and Hermione exchanged smirks.)

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubby-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, to remind you-

Then he was cut off by someone.

Hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome."

Her voice was high-pitched, breathy and little-girlish and, again.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking up at me!"

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

"Less likely." said Fred and George together.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the wizarding community must be passed down the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..."

"... because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited."

When she sat down Dumbledore started clapping.

"Thank you Professor."

"What's it mean?" Harry asked.

"It means the ministry is interfering with Hogwarts." Hermione said.

After dinner when they got to the common room everything went quiet. When they saw some of their friends they nodded.

"Dean, Seamus. Good holiday?" Harry asked.

"All right. Better than Seamus', anyway." Dean said.

"Me mum didn't want me to come back this year." Seamus said putting a Prophet down.

"Why not?" Tracey asked.

Let me see. Because of Harry. The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you and Dumbledore."

"What, your mum believes them?" Harry asked.

"Nobody was there the night Cedric died." Seamus said.

"I guess you should read the Prophet, then, like your stupid mother." Tracey said.

Don't talk about my mother." Harry said.

"I'll have a go at anyone that calls me a liar." he said.

"What's going on?" Ron asked.

"He's mad, is what's going on.

Do you believe the rubbish he's

come out with about You-Know-Who?"

"Yeah. I do. Has anyone else got a problem with Harry?" Ron asked.

No one said anything so Harry said good night to Tracey and then they split up.

"You all right?" Ron asked.

"Fine."

"Seamus was bang out of order, mate. But he'll come through, you'll see."

"I said, I'm fine, Ron!"

"Right. I'll just leave you to your thoughts, then."

While he was asleep he started to have a reminder of last year.

It was the night of the third task. When he saw Cedric hit by the green light he woke up. Then he whipped his face and calmed down. Then he fell back to sleep.