Chapter 7 - Sparkbusters

Everyone was separated into two teams. Trailbreaker and the others left to search for the Sparkeater while Hina, Drift, Rodimus, and Ultra Magnus stayed behind in the engine room, waiting for the monster to return. It was supposed to go after someone who had the brightest spark, and Rodimus had a hunch it was him. 

A bit of a snoby suggestion, but a hunch was better than nothing. Hina was growing worried about the others. What if they got caught? 

Drift, on the other hand, knew exactly why Rodimus believed he had the brightest spark amongst all the members of the ship. The Matrix of Leadership, essentially the collective wisdom of all Primes, past, present, and future, was given to those who had the purest and brightest sparks, this much his trusted Primes had told him. Though he suspected that the Matrix only made a spark glow with light even brighter than sparkling, pure, freshly filtered energon. 

It would have been dismissed by any other Cybertronian as mere speculation, but several accounts of ancient history during the times before the Golden Age, had spoken of a blinding light coming from a single Cybertronian, a Prime, before they preformed acts of great compassion, courage, strength, or wisdom. Since then, it had only been labeled a rumor, though Drift still believed it to have some truth in itself, even if the glint he'd seen coming from Rodimus and Optimus had only ever been brief, and out of the corner of his optic. 

Regardless of any legends, or ancient, written accounts, Drift wholeheartedly knew that Rodimus sharing his knowledge was not meant to seem arrogant, rather, a wise move. If the Matrix was compromised, then the lineage of Primes would be destroyed, and Optimus would not be happy with any of the mechs and femmes on the Lost Light.

"And you're certain it will come back?" Ultra Magnus asked. 

"I'm positive. It will come crawling back some time around." Rodimus beamed with a grin. 

"Don't mean to point out a negative, but am I the only one who actually DOESN'T want to see this thing?" Hina spoke up. 

Drift snorted, a human habit he'd picked up from trying to fit in as an American teenager, who, according to Hina, were snarky and sassy. "Rodimus is just curious. I supposed it has something to do with the fact that he is a Prime, but, I, do not want to see the spark eater." He replied, pausing for a moment; his faceplate scrunching up in thought. "Or at least not alive, that is." He amended, knowing that Hina was most likely correct. She was possibly the only Cybertronian among them that did not wish to see the Spark-Eater at all. 

"Trailbreaker to Rodimus!" A voice echoed through the com-link. 

"Go a head. What's up?" Rodimus asked. 

"The Sparkeater has been spotted. It's killed another crew member and it's located the brightest spark." He explained.

Hina gulped. Another Autobot's life was taken? This was bad. This was very, very bad. 

"Where is it heading?" Rodmus asked. "The brightest spark no doubt."

"Correct. It's on its way over to--"

"--back to the engine room." Rodimus interupted. 

"Uh, no actually." Trailbreaker corrected. 

"Wait, what?" Rodmus asked, looking surprise. 

"So much for your hunch." Ultra Magnus muttered.

"It's on its way over towards the Munitions Stores. Rung's office is the only actual room that's down there." Trailbreaker explained. 

Hina gasped hearing that name. While she had only known that orange Autobots for a few minutes, he was one of the only Autobots that she actual knew so far on this ship. She didn't want to lose a friend.