The Sapphire Eyes

It took only about 10 minutes to reach my destination from where I was training at. I slowed down my pace and walked diligently on the gravel below my feet. I took in a deep breath of the refreshing air and allowed the breeze to gently blow through my (h/l) (h/c). I approached Kagaya Ubuyashiki and kneeled before him.

"Good afternoon." I spoke softly. His presence was calming yet strong at the same time. I heard the light sounds of gravel crunching beneath someone's feet approaching from the right. I drew my attention to the right side of the manor, awaiting for the arrival of this unknown person. It only took about 10 seconds for this mysterious person to turn the corner, but the anticipation made it feel like minutes.

To my surprise, it was the Water Hashira Giyuu Tomioka. His piercing sapphire eyes sparkled from the bright sun and his face was cold and emotionless. I had only heard stories about him from the other Hashria since he often kept to himself and didn't usually engage in any conversation unless necessary. They often hinted at disliking Giyuu, but never explicitly said they did, at least not to me.

He kneeled before Kagaya Ubuyashiki without uttering a word. The silence between the three of us was as piercing as Giyuu's eyes.

You were barely acquainted with him, only having spoken to him a few times and it was mostly you apologizing for bumping into him and he would only give you an unreadable look without saying a word and then continue off.

"The two of you are to head west to a small town where reports of demons have been highest. It should be rather simple for the two of you to complete. You are to depart at dawn."

"Yes sir." I spoke more firmly this time. I slightly widened my eyes in shock at the sound of my voice, unsure of why I did that. I prayed that it go unnoticed and it did.

"Be safe my children" Ubuyashiki softly told us before leaving. Giyuu and I rose without a word and went off to get ready for the mission.

As I was making my way to the Butterfly Estate where I was staying, my stomach made a low growl. I'm still pretty hungry. I thought to myself. Maybe Rengoku-Sensei would want to grab dinner.

The sun was in its early stages of setting and I wandered around for a bit to find Rengoku.

After 20 minutes of searching I sighed and gave up and started back to my original destination. On my way there, I saw a figure leaning against a tree. Upon closer examination it was Giyuu. I pondered for a minute on whether or not I should approach him and make conversation since we'd be spending time on a mission. Eventually I decided to make my way towards him.

"Good evening Giyuu." I said softly. His eyes were focused in front of him, paying no attention to where I was standing. I never noticed the height difference until being this close to him. He nodded softly as an indication that he addresses my presence. We stood in an awkward silence, well, awkward for me. After what seemed like forever I spoke up again,

"Have you had dinner yet?" This time he broke his concentration and turned his face towards me, as if he was trying to find some secret motive behind my question. He studied my face which made me feel nervous, why is it so hard to be around him? Is this what the Hashira were talking about when they said they didn't enjoy his presence, was it because of it's intimidation?

"I have not, why?" he spoke suddenly, breaking my thoughts. His voice was soft yet rough at the same time. I almost forgot why I asked him in the first place by quickly remembered,

"Would you like to grab dinner with me? I figured it would be a way for us to become more familiar with one another." He stared at me, his face stayed the same but his eyes had a hint of confusion in them. He sighed and nodded without saying a word and I smiled softly. The two of us walked side by side in silence towards a small town that was to the south of Headquarters. The air was tranquil and the sunset perfectly contrasted his sapphire eyes.

I found myself taking quick glances at the Hashria next to me, just to make sure he was still there and to admire his features. I started observing his eyes, then face, then nose, then shoulders, and...

"What?" he asked suddenly. I was subconsciously staring at Giyuu rather than taking small glances like I had previously done. Still walking, we made eye contact and my face turned a shade of red and I looked forward.

"I-I was observing the sunset that's on the horizon in your direction, sorry," I apologized quickly. Thankfully the sun was setting next to him and I used that to my advantage. He turned his face forward and said nothing.

The town was in front of us and we picked up our pace.