Chapter 19 - Played and Left Broken

Evelyn's POV

I raised an eyebrow at Aaron when I saw his face twist into a weird look. "Ok, what's wrong with your face?" I asked skeptically. 

He laughed at me, and rubbed his forehead before he said, "nothing."

I huffed and rolled my eyes at him and asked in a 'duh' tone, "then why were you laughing?"

Aaron cracked a smile at me and replied, "it was just the way you asked, it was funny Lyn."

I grinned at him. "I am funny, Aaron. It's one of my best abilities," of course I was being a bit cocky.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say Lyn. Now, can you tell me more stories," Aaron asked. 

I sighed and faked a tired voice, "haven't you heard enough?"

He stuck his tongue out at me and answered, "no, now go ahead."

"Ha, how old are you? Five?" I snorted jokingly.

Aaron bared his teeth at me in a weird fashion and replied, "ten actually. Now, carry on...pretty please."

I repositioned him on my lap. "Well, I told you how I've met your great, great, great and a lot more great grand father. What else do you want to know?"

He pouted his bottom lip for a second and said, "tell me more stories about you and Antonio, please."

I smiled at the request, my mind was already beginning to think back to those precious, little times with my husband. 

Flashback: "Ahora, recuerde tomar pequeños bocados de los alimentos. Usted no quiere permitir que los caballeros a pensar que tienes un gran apetito," (now, remember to take little bites from your food. You don't want to allow the knights to think that you have a big appetite) my mother said quietly into my left ear. Right now, we were on our way to have dinner with my father and all of the guests. I was wearing a precious violet gown with my tiara placed on my head. I took special care to dress properly today, if I must admit why it was to impress Antonio. 

"Lo haré, madre," (I will, mother) I replied in a hushed tone. "Perfecto. Y recuerda a aceptar cualquier oferta para bailar. Queremos hacer una buena impresión en ellos," (perfect. And remember to accept any offer to dance. We want to make a good impression on them) mother said gently. I nodded and replied, "por supuesto, la madre," (of course, mother). And with that, the guards opened the heavy looking doors and my mother stepped in first, before I followed her inside. 

I was a bit nervous before everyone was present already. I didn't make any eye contact as I went to the front part of the long table. My mother sat on the right side of my father, so I sat to his left. Normally, this was my brother's seat but he was away on a special patrol so I could sit here. My father stood up, his crown made him look more powerful and intimidating. He stretched his arms out before him and said in a welcoming, warm voice, "ahora que estamos todos aquí. Vamos a empezar la fiesta," (now that we are all here. Let the feast begin). 

The food was delicious but I was feeling a bit lonely, I was surrounded by adults who were engaged in their own conversations. I sighed internally and relaxed my body to the music, I wanted to dance otherwise I was going to retire back to my chamber. Everyone was done eating but they were still talking excitedly. I almost rolled my eyes at this. 

Then, I felt someone tap my shoulder. Confused, I turned to look at the person, it was Antonio. A smile almost broke onto my lips immidately. He looked handsome this evening, his hair was freshly combed and he smelled alluring, my mouth almost watered...almost. Antonio grinned showing his teeth and requested huskily, "me honra con una danza, princesa?" (would you honour me with a dance, Princess?"