38. In the end

What's up peeps! Here's the new chapter!

Enjoy!

38. In the end

✧ Luke ✧

I see her disappear in the crowd, my skin still tingling where she touched it.

As much as I trust Hazel, I don’t trust anyone else with her. but she’s right, we need to act fast lest we lose our only chance.

With a deep breath, I turn my gaze to Parks, making sure to put every bit of authority in my soul in that look.

Considering the irritated gleam in his eyes, I suppose it’s working.

“Keep your eyes on her,” I say, my voice hard even to my own ears “And I’ll be keeping mine on you.”

“Are you so sure I need to be watched, Winters?” he crosses his arms “I’m not the untamed one here.”

A growl claws at my throat to let it out, I can almost feel my fingers elongating. The beast hasn’t had a dose of wolfsbane in long while and its eager to break through the chains of restraint.

“You shouldn’t even be allowed on this Hunt.” Parks says, scorn obvious in his tone “Let alone with Elise as your companion.”

My hands are itching to close around something.

“You’re the biggest threat to her—

Unbidden, my hand reaches out to grab him by the shirt front. I relish the flicker of unadulterated fear that crosses his face, even if for a second.

“So you know what I might become,” I say lowly, my voice rough around the edges like a jagged  knife “What I am capable of doing, still you’re standing here, spewing out crap. I must say Parks, you’re a bigger idiot than I gave you credit for.”

I let go of him, he staggers back. Instantly, he straightens himself, loathing clear on his face.

“Stay in your limits, Pup.” I look down at him “The next time I have to remind you wouldn’t be so painless.”

I turn around, willing the beast to recede. I need to get it together, we need to escape this place before any more ‘incidents’ decide to happen. I need to get Hazel out of here.

My fingers turn back to normal, reason takes over instinct as I go farther away from the noise in the ballroom.

I find Anderson in the middle of a staircase.

“Where are you going?” he asks, raising an eyebrow at me

“To get to that damn office.” I say

“You cant possibly be thinking of taking all the guards out.” Anderson says “Even if you somehow do, there’s no saying the map is there.”

“Just the fact that there are five guards outside one door leads me to think it’s there.”

“Look, Winters,” he says “As much as I would love to punch someone in the face given our situation, we need to think this through.”