25. The Beast

Sup peeps!

Guess I'm updating daily now. Yay! Three cheers for me, now please, universe, don't make me regret this.

So, my amazing readers, support my work with you votes, comments, and maybe even share it.

Enjoy!

25. The Beast

Its full moon tonight.

I was beyond surprised when Luke stopped just as the sun started setting.

I glance warily at his face. He looks pale, the scars on his face more pronounced. Even the smallest sound seems to put him on the edge.

"Luke, are you alright?" I ask carefully

"I..." he hesitates for a moment "I need to tell you something."

My brows pull together and I nod, waiting for him to continue. Luke goes through his clothes bag and pulls something out, my eyes widen.

A silver chain hangs from his hands with a manacle and a padlock.

Luke holds out a silver key for me, I step back. What the hell? Silver should've burned him, and its most definitely going to burn me!

"Seriously, Hazel?" He gives me a look "Silver bullets didn't burn you, you think this would?"

"Yeah, but..." I blink in confusion "Why didn't they?"

"Our wolves are locked," Luke says, taking my hand and giving me the key "It wouldn't hurt unless you manage to dig it in your flesh."

I swallow "Why do you have this?"

"I'm going to put the manacle on my wrist, and then lock the chain around a tree. You're going to keep the key."

"Why?"

Luke takes a breath "I'm going to shift tonight."

"What?" I stare at him blankly "But Korra locked our wolves, you just said so."

A shadow crosses his face "That wouldn't matter in my case."

"Luke," my throat feels dry "What is going on?"

"Just promise me," he leans down and puts his hands on my shoulders "Whatever you see, whatever you hear, you wont come near me."

"I-

"Promise me, Hazel."

The urgency in his voice makes my stomach turn unpleasantly. I let out a shaky breath.

"Alright." I nod

"Good." Luke exhales as he pulls away and runs a hand through his hand

"But why are we doing this?" I ask yet again "Why do you need to chain yourself?"

"I will tell you," Luke says "Just know that when I shift, I'm not myself. I will tear apart anything in my reach."