Chapter 24 - Nancy

Lockwood Estates

Blackridge, New Hampshire

Tuesday 11 March 2008

"I don't see any 'Caroline Walker' over here!" I shout, examining each tombstone on the east side of the cemetery.

"Same for over here!" Sam responds from the west side.

"This might be a bust," Dean says irritably, walking up to me, examining each headstone as he goes. He holds the handle of his shovel, which rests on his shoulder. "It seems like the only people buried here are Lockwoods and Lockwood relatives. No wait staff or servants."

I sigh, hands in pockets. "Oh well. It was worth a shot."

Sam lopes over to us. "What now? County records?"

Dean shrugs. "Unless you want to search every boneyard in Blackridge."

"...You're sure that it didn't say anything in the papers from Edward?" Sam asks me.

"Nothing. Didn't even say how she died. Had to get that from him. You can check if you want."

"Nah, I trust you did your part," he says, squinting out over the property. "And Edward still hasn't responded?"

"I've called him like five times," I tell him, "Nothing." I remember when Edward told me he was up until four a.m. that one time. And it is only seven in the morning. "He might just not be awake yet. He seems to be a night owl."

"Most writers are," Dean concurs irritably, turning back to the gates. "Oh well. County Records it is. We can check in on Edward later."

"How are we going to get in?" I ask, genuinely curious, and running to keep up.

Sam chuckles. "How would you get in?"

I purse my lips in thought. "Um... sneak in. Find some keys, stay out of sight. That sort of thing."

"Nancy Drew," Sam says in a fake judgmental voice, wearing a toothy grin, "Why I never."

"So what are we going to do?" I ask.

Dean smirks at me over his shoulder. "Fake IDs and lockpicks, young padawan. But if you want to come with us, we need to stop by a copy place to make you an ID."

I chew on my cheek, part of me wanting to go all-in, and part of me not wanting to get caught with that sort of thing.

"Maybe I ought to wait in the car this time," I say, "If Sheriff Reeves finds out I used a fake ID to get information..." I trail off, imagining my entire P.I. business crumbling in one fell swoop.

"Got it," Sam says.

"Next time, then," Dean says with a smile and a wink.

----

"Hey, Savannah," I say, "I need your help."

"I don't doubt you do. What can I help you with, Hon?"

"I..." I look out at the county records office building, in front of which we found a streetside parking spot. "I... believe."

"...What?"

"I saw one of the ghosts last night. It almost killed me, but the Winchesters saved my life."

"Is that right."

"Yes. It is." I sigh. "I didn't know who else to talk to."

"Because your friends all back home are just as big of skeptics as you were."