21. Shopping

|| A/N: be careful, mention of death and suicide.||

.

.

.

.

.

«I'm not an expert about human biology, girl, but I believe that what you're doing in the bathroom is not normal»

Gynos the Shinigami observed the door of Ryoko's private bathroom. Since that morning she spent most of her time there, throwing up all her meals. She was even paler than usual.

«Are you sure it's not some sort of human illness?»

Ryoko left the bathroom and looked at her God of Death: a long jacket with fake fur around the neck and the wrists; skeletal, black humanoid figure with dark boots and a pair of fingerless gothic gloves, with five rings chained together; the head was replaced by a skull, an ace of spades drew at his left side, and a pair of old goggles. After all that time together, Ryoko didn't know if she had to look at the dark empty orbit of his skull or at the goggles. Where were his eyes?

«I have no time to think about this, Gynos. I have to take care of Tobe Shihei before it's too late»

Ryoko was going to take her red Death Note when she heard a faint knock at her door. The raven haired girl went to open the door.

«Miss Asami!» it was H, the adorable 10 years old girl that guided Ryoko inside the orphanage. Her brown hair was tied in the usual ponytail and her shiny green eyes were looking up at her music teacher.

«Ah, H. Do you need something?» Ryoko smiled gently at her. She noticed the little girl was hiding something behind her back.

«Well, actually...» H hesitated and looked at her left, maybe her friends were hidden nearby but Ryoko pretended not to see anything.

«Is it about the lessons?»

«Me and other classmates made something for you, Miss...as a welcome gift» the little girl scanned Ryoko's face with her calculating light eyes.

The music teacher smiled again, touched by that gesture. «Really? You didn't have to »

«I know but we did it anyway. Here» from behind her back she handed out a music sheet.

Right before Ryoko was going to speak again, H ran away. «Thank...you» she replied but the little girl couldn't hear her anymore. Ryoko went back in her room and took a look at the piece her students realised.

«What's this about?» Gynos asked while observing the sheet.

«The rhythm reminds a lullaby»

.

.

"𝘛𝘰𝘣𝘦 𝘚𝘩𝘪𝘩𝘦𝘪, 𝘰𝘯 16𝘵𝘩 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 2004, 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘴 𝘶𝘴𝘶𝘢𝘭.

That day Tobe was not feeling so good. Three days had passed since he broke in the Higashi's archives. Police started an official investigation about the two murders and the theft, many detectives started to question all teachers and students. He arrived a bit late at his courses and he mentally cursed. However, he had to pretend everything was fine.

.

𝘈𝘵 1𝘱𝘮, 𝘥𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘩 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘬, 𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘵𝘰 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦. 𝘖𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘥𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦.