25. Last wish [EPILOGUE]

|| A/N: ANGST ahead, mention of blood and violence. The song used in this chapter is called "Dies irae", a Medieval Latin poem. Sorry, it's a really long last chapter. 

Some dialogues are from the manga / anime.||

.

.

.

.

.

«That's the place?»

«Yes, Yellow Box Warehouse»

«How strange coming back here for the final battle between Kira and little Near»

Ryoko and C were the only one out of the car. After the long and rather uncomfortable trip with that old bomber, Ryoko (with Ritsu), Fusao and C were in Japan for the last moments of Light's ideal empire. 

«Cryo, stay here» she ordered and the man nodded. She had to be fast because she had a rite to attend with Ritsu: she was wearing the same black and white dress she wore at Lawliet's funeral. Nothing was left to chance.

«So you used to live here?» C asked after a while breaking the tense silence.

«Yes. I was born at Yokohama. This warehouse was used by children to play hide and seek»

For a moment Ryoko thought about Light and his choice to drag other people in his plan. Such a circus: involving unrelated people into the Kira project was a terrible mistake. Ryoko knew very well not to share the power of God with irrelevant people like Light did. That's why Ryoko and only her could sense her own Shinigami...and nobody else. Not Even C, H, Pan or anyone of her family. Only Ryoko: that's her power, her eternal curse and hers only.

«It's Kira's final moment then...is that how a God dies?» C asked looking at the Warehouse from afar.

«Gods were immortal or everlasting, incapable of physically dying. Kira, or Light Yagami as you want to call him, is just a clever, skilful yet crazy young human with a strong God-complex» Ryoko explained. She remembered clearly her nights at the HQ at Tokyo, where Light was a normal teenager: funny, well-versed and good looking boy with many abilities and acknowledges. At that time, she even started to like him (not as much as she loved Lawliet).

.

.

.

𝗤𝘂𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘂𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗿 𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝘂𝘁𝘂𝗿𝘂𝘀,
𝗾𝘂𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗼 𝗶𝘂𝗱𝗲𝘅 𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘂𝗿𝘂𝘀,
𝗰𝘂𝗻𝗰𝘁𝗮 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗰𝘂𝘀𝘀𝘂𝗿𝘂𝘀?

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗯𝗲,
𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗝𝘂𝗱𝗴𝗲 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲
𝘁𝗼 𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝘁 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗲.

Ryoko snapped back into the real world and observed the warehouse: she saw someone entering the old depot from the main entrance.

«It's Teru Mikami, the so called "Hand of Kira"» Ryoko pointed out.

«What does it mean?»

«Near didn't tell me anything but I think he is just a man with the power of Kira»

After few minutes of silence, C spoke again: «Shall we go?»

«Yes, it's time»

The walk towards the warehouse was slow and tense, the weather was cloudy yet warm for being January. The sky was coloured in orange and yellow, the snow already melted and now streets and footpath were wet.